Late night diabetic snacks

Options
I work second shift and even when I don’t work I am up late a lot and I get hungry. But at the same time I don’t want to jack my sugar way up right before I go to bed. Suggestions?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    What does your doctor say. What kind of snacks do they suggest. I can tell you what I think but it doesn't really matter unless it aligns with your medical professionals. I practice TRE for glucose regulation and that comes down to no snacks before bed. None. I went cold turkey with bedtime snacks about 20 months ago. Truthfully, I don't snack at all between meals. I eat 3 meals aday and I've lopped 88 lbs off. Only your doctor knows best.
  • mrjon912
    mrjon912 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks I need some of that cold turkey
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Yay! Start today with your very next meal. I recently visited with another T2 relative of mine who insists on drinking his regular pepsi's and taking his meds. I told him the same thing. He laughed but I told him it wasn't funny especially after another relative just had their leg amputated. I no longer entertain myself with playfoods. Do it.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I suggest having your doctor recommend a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist) who specializes in diabetes education if possible. My dietitian has been instrumental in helping me plan out my daily food, especially my carbs.

For myself, I have some cheese and crackers before bed (a carb and a protein). It helps with my hypoglycemia. But we are each different, so please speak with your doctor or dietitian.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I work second shift now, and it is definitely screwing with my eating (worse than when I worked over nights).

I find myself precutting veggies before work and pre marinating/seasoning a piece of meat.

When hungry after work, I throw in my precut peppers, onions, mushrooms into skillet, sautee in olive oil for a few minutes on medium heat, throw in meat 2-5 minutes each side (depending on cut and thickness).

And have a smaller meal after work, but before bed.

I eat my high calorie meal first meal (over 1000 calories usually) before work.

I also suggest joining the Low Carber Daily Forum group, lots of low carb meals and food ideas.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,786 Member
    Options
    meat and cheese sticks. anything protein.
  • IAmGainingHealth
    IAmGainingHealth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and ritz crackers are often my go to.