Losing weight on poor income

Options
DannyTheGay
DannyTheGay Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Hi I'm Danny. I'm 18 and currently 206lbs. I'm here because I want to get down to at least 150lbs. I'm looking forward to progress and trying to change my life. It's hard because we make almost no money, but some people have given me tips on working out and dieting with little money.

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I'm on a very low budget. I find deals at grocery outlets, discount stores like Aldi's/Trader Joe's.

Dollar Tree has even been getting in some good affordable cheap foods.

We eat a lot of eggs in my house, because I can deals on the 5 dozen boxes.

Farmer's Market or local produce markets usually have cheap fruits and veggies.

Shop around. When I go out for groceries, I end up at about 5-6 different stores shopping for bargains.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    dry, generic brand pastas, beans, barley and soy beans are cheap, healthy and filling, and they store well, always a plus. dried and frozen veggies are still healthy and often less expensive, especially if your local store has store brand or generics. and if you can afford to buy in bulk, things like whey protein and apparently eggs are much cheaper per serving even if they cost more initially.

as far as working out, walking is the best exercise i've found if i could only do one. it strengthens the legs, butt and abs, is good for cardio if you walk at a moderate pace, and it isn't as high impact as running or jogging.

also look up body weight exercises on MFP and google. you can get a full body workout with no equipment at all.

best of luck to you :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I look at Flipp. It's an app that has all the local flyers, so you can see where stuff is on sale. I also buy things like meat when it's close to expiry, they give 30% off, and if you bring it home and freeze it right away, or cook it right away, it's fine.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    n950ytr16rwb.png
    I found these the other day for 25 cents each. Not my favorite. Too sweet. Not the healthiest. But—-
    Bought 4, poured each in 4 tiny cups and froze them.
    As healthy or healthier than regular ice cream, 40 calories, less than 7 cents each. I can have desert anytime!
    Look for lemons, make lemonade.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Also, most cities in the US have bread outlets, food banks, or churches that pass out foods.

I used to shop at bread outlets.

Churches and food banks have dried rice and beans, and canned goods (items mentioned above--for free).

Yep, I buy my eggs at a grocery outlet when I'm broke. $3.50 for a 5 dozen box on sale, $5.00 regularly. They're almost always on sale.

I'm on the US Pacific coast, but have found places like these living all over the country.

I need to check out the flipp app mentioned above!!!
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    dry, generic brand pastas, beans, barley and soy beans are cheap, healthy and filling, and they store well, always a plus. dried and frozen veggies are still healthy and often less expensive, especially if your local store has store brand or generics. and if you can afford to buy in bulk, things like whey protein and apparently eggs are much cheaper per serving even if they cost more initially.

as far as working out, walking is the best exercise i've found if i could only do one. it strengthens the legs, butt and abs, is good for cardio if you walk at a moderate pace, and it isn't as high impact as running or jogging.

also look up body weight exercises on MFP and google. you can get a full body workout with no equipment at all.

best of luck to you :)

I second that. Walking is free, and it has been my go-to exercise almost on a daily basis since I started my weight loss. Also, there are plenty of free YouTube videos with workouts that you can do at home without having to buy any equipment.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You can also look into You Are Your Own Gym. Body weight exercises, no equipment needed.
  • okc0mputr
    okc0mputr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a low budget, AKA disability. I buy mostly fresh vegetables, which are relatively inexpensive even in comparison to the prepackaged equivalent (like the microwave ready bags etc). I also learned to cook my favorite foods from scratch. The raw ingredients last a very long time and you can really stretch your budget that way. As far as exercise, I bought a spin bike from amazon. it was about $200, but I was able to make payments of $40/month to pay it off. If you check craigslist and facebook marketplace there's tons of used equipment for minimal cost. I also walk my dog twice a day, and use an exercise ball, dumbbells, etc. If you're not able to work out at home, check out resources like the YMCA, or even community colleges have facilities you can use for minimal cost.