Dog names?

Options
rhinesb
rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
Our family is having problems picking a new dog name.

Picture it in your head....the dog will be a male, solid black, german shepherd.

We have four names picked out:

Odin

Jackson

Sampson

Turbo

We had more picked out but we have slowly cut some out of the running. Which of the four is your favorite? And since we still have two weeks to decide on a name what male dog name do you think is cool/awesome (that you might want to add to our list of potential names)?

Replies

• mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Jackson is cool.
  • nblais06
    nblais06 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    i like turbo
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I have fostered hundreds of dogs and usually pick names for them as well, and I have a personal rule never to name dogs with an "O" sound because one of the words I use when training them is "No". I don't want to confuse them any more than they already are with the new place, new caretaker, new name, etc.. This wouldn't apply if you plan to use a different correction word or phrase like "leave it" or "stop", but I like No so...

Of the four I like Jackson, too.
  • rhinesb
    Options
    Everyone in our household likes a different name so I'm going to see if Hubby would be up for us counting up the votes on here and choosing the highest voted name. Or maybe if someone comes up with something else that we'd all be able to agree on.
  • Danimal718
    Danimal718 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Zeus!
  • rhinesb
    Options
    I have fostered hundreds of dogs and usually pick names for them as well, and I have a personal rule never to name dogs with an "O" sound because one of the words I use when training them is "No". I don't want to confuse them any more than they already are with the new place, new caretaker, new name, etc.. This wouldn't apply if you plan to use a different correction word or phrase like "leave it" or "stop", but I like No so...

Of the four I like Jackson, too.

The reason we thought of Odin is because originally we chose Zeus however my cousin also has a black german shepherd named Zeus and he lives only 1-2 miles from us. Plus we saw a lot of people who owned german shepherds that named their dog Zeus. So we thought of Loki and many others but Odin we liked because he is considered the Father of All or the God of Gods in Norse Mythology.

However I never thought about the O in Odin being too close to No, Good reason to kick out the name Odin. Didn't think of that.
  • rhinesb
    Options
    Zeus!
    :)

I like that name too.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Our last dog was named Thor, I prefer that name over Odin, but if I had to pick one from your list, I'd go with Odin. Loves me my Norse Mythology
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I like turbo or Zeus :)
  • rhinesb
    Options
    Our last dog was named Thor, I prefer that name over Odin, but if I had to pick one from your list, I'd go with Odin. Loves me my Norse Mythology

It doesn't have to be from my list. We've been trying to come up with names and I like Thor.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Samuel Jackson? lol "SAY WHAT AGAIN!!!" ***Guns raised*** HA,

Jackson for sure though, Turbo is pretty funny, my dog is an Akita and Pitbull mix, and looks like a shepherd, we call him Keiko I think it fits him
  • cl00bie
    cl00bie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How about "Kitty"?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like Jackson:)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Any BUT Turbo; Jackson is NICE, but you are gonna end up calling him Jax, so you had better like Jax too. If not NOW you have Narrowed it down to 2 Names
  • AthenaArcher
    AthenaArcher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Go outside and yell out your top choices a few times. If one of them makes you feel like a dork while yelling it pick a different name. :) Also microchip your dog as soon as you get it so if it does get out you will have a much better chance of getting him home again. :)
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Do you have the dog yet? I usually like to get to know the animal a little bit. Then it usually just comes to me.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love mythology, so I love Odin and second the suggestion of Thor. I'd also add Anubis, Osiris, Orion, and Enki to the list.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Chili.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    When I get a male dog, I will be naming him Tyrion :) Jackson is my grandpa and dad's name so I like that name, but I would probably call the dog Jax because I love SOA.
  • rikwaynik
    rikwaynik Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Do you have the dog yet? I usually like to get to know the animal a little bit. Then it usually just comes to me.

Although I haven't always done this, I think it's a good idea. Once you get to know the personality it will be very easy. I like "Jackson" though. :)