UglyDucklingmfp

Options
Hi Evan. I have to lose at least 200 pounds to get my life as I new it back. I have Bipolar disorder and are on several medications that causes me to want to eat all the time. I have tried numerous times to lose weight but are struggling. I now have Diabetes on Insulin because of my weight. Maybe we can support one another.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Why 200lbs? I would suggest a body comp vs weight. I made that mistake. Jmho. Best wishes.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Why 200lbs? I would suggest a body comp vs weight. I made that mistake. Jmho. Best wishes.

If someone has anything like 200 *extra* pounds to lose, I'm pretty sure it's not yet time to suggest recomp.

I hope you find the "Evan" you're trying to reach, @UglyDucklingmfp.

I'm guessing they meant go by body composition (measurements and bf%) rather than the number on the scale.

Either way - @UglyDucklingmfp I'm guessing you meant to either send a private message or respond in an existing thread. Good luck on your journey!
  • psychod787
    edited September 2019
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

If someone has anything like 200 *extra* pounds to lose, I'm pretty sure it's not yet time to suggest recomp.

I hope you find the "Evan" you're trying to reach, @UglyDucklingmfp.

Not suggesting "recomp" suggesting concentrating on fat loss va straight weight loss. AND how OP FEELS. Weight is a number, yes important. Coming to a place you can maintain and be happy... FAR more important than what the scale reads. Thanks for the reply.😁

Op... learn to love weights. With a moderate deficit and decent protein intake. Add progressive overload, as a newbie, you can gain some muscle mas and cut fat. 6 months sometimes. After that weight lifting helps maintain. LM.
  • psychod787
    Options
    @psychod787, I stand corrected. Thank you so much for clarifying not only what you meant, but how to do such a thing. But, with that said, I'm still pretty sure that the greater percent of any 200 lb loss will be composed of fat rather than muscle, regardless of the actions or intent of the dieter. For the most part, I don't challenge the advice to keep the deficit moderate or prioritize protein intake. At some point, though, I understand it is more important to reduce mass for the health of the patient than to play it safe by losing more slowly. Preserving lean mass is also a noble goal, but possibly not the first advice I'd offer the morbidly obese.

Thanks☺ though a modest loss of 1% a week for a morbidly obese individual could be 3lbs a week for some. I can't take credit for my info, you know, just parroting the advice of people like Layne Norton, Lyle McDonald, James krieger. Far greater minds than mine. Oh course as a recovering class 3 obese individual myself helps. Cheers!😉
  • psychod787
    Options
    Oh.. OP, just wanted to add. What may be normal for everyone, may not be normal for you. We are all individuals. Dont feel that you have to be "lean". If you lose weight and can MAINTAIN that weight loss, you are in a better place. I get poo poo'ed on because I say this. I am NOT "fat" accepting, just that imho, sometimes we have to moderate our expectations. Best of luck OP. Dont let ANYONE tell you how you should be and feel. Of course, this is just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Wow. No one even talked about what you posted. I sent you a private message.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Wow. No one even talked about what you posted. I sent you a private message.

That's not true - we wished her luck finding Evan. And @psychod787 questioned her goal of losing 200 lbs, even though we don't know her starting weight.

It's been 2 weeks. Did you find Evan, @UglyDucklingmfp?