Working out with an autoimmune disease

What do you do when your body goes in a flare later on in the day after a workout? My body is just super stiff & in so much pain right now. I had a heating pad on my back earlier & now have an ice pack on my back which is helping a little, but not much. My fatigue is also getting me right now which is also adding to this.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Ibuprofen and rest for me. I can over do it sometimes with much regret. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Livhere
    Livhere Posts: 141 Member
    Thank you! Yup I get that. I overdo it sometimes too. I can't really have ibuprofen. I have to be careful with that stuff. Previous doctors I've had didn't want to listen to me that something was wrong & decided to just treat my symptoms & send me home with that stuff instead. I was on it for years & it messed up my stomach pretty bad. I can't see my rheumatologist until January (booked solid) so I just have to do my best to stick it out.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I am so sorry. Is Tylenol ok? I do heat and ice, it helps somewhat. Hoping January comes quick for you.
  • IAmGainingHealth
    IAmGainingHealth Posts: 18 Member
    We're known to push and crash.

I am starting at ground zero and very slowly increasing my goal levels.

Mayo teaches us to take very frequent breaks and change activity types often.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Livhere wrote: »
    Thank you! Yup I get that. I overdo it sometimes too. I can't really have ibuprofen. I have to be careful with that stuff. Previous doctors I've had didn't want to listen to me that something was wrong & decided to just treat my symptoms & send me home with that stuff instead. I was on it for years & it messed up my stomach pretty bad. I can't see my rheumatologist until January (booked solid) so I just have to do my best to stick it out.

You might want to ask your rhematologist about meloxicam (Mobic). It does similar things to ibuprofen but for most people has substantially less stomach/GI irritation. I was on Mobic for a year when I got diagnosed with an autoimmune disease.
  • Temperia
    Temperia Posts: 8 Member
    Bedtime yoga flow then to bed with a guided meditation
  • quebooboo
    quebooboo Posts: 13 Member
    If I find that happening frequently, I reassess my diet, supplements, and activity. I had to stop hard workouts because my bones simply couldn't handle it and were breaking. I'm spending the entire year focusing on daily low impact exercises. I feel better overall and crash less frequently.