Early morning workouts

Hello Everyone!

I’ve recently had to switch my workouts from late afternoon to early morning. I’m currently getting up at 5am to get my workouts done.

Right now, this isn’t really working for me for the following reasons:
-my body is really stiff in the mornings and it effects my mobility.
-I’m tired and don’t do as well during my work day (I work at a school that has some pretty strong behavioral challenges).
-I don’t do as well during my workouts as I do in the afternoon.

Are these things that will get better as I adjust to this new schedule?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Probably. That's how I felt when I first started working out in the morning. I started with easy yoga and then added in some cardio. My body is used to the early routine now and I have progressed to high impact aerobics and kickboxing or step. Give it some time and try a few different kinds of workouts to see what works best for you. I find early workouts also help me wake up and have energy for the day.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    The only thing that I could see possibly not working out in the long run is your stiffness. The tiredness will work itself out once you're used to getting up earlier to workout (I get up at 4:15am to row on the water at 5). It might be worth doing a longer warm up to potentially address the stiffness.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    How recent? I think it'll take some time to get used to a new routine. Weeks, even a month or 2. Especially if you aren't a morning person and this change is a couple of hours earlier than your normal wake up time.

5 am is early! Are you getting to bed on time? Lack of sleep will ruin everything.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    That's a difficult question for me to answer. I have been working out in the early AMs all of my life. I love it.
    But I am, and have always been, a morning person. I am all wide-eyed and energetic when I get up in the morning and working out then seems natural to me. I have tried at times to take evening workout classes and I just can't do it. So perhaps you may gradually become acclimated to early morning workouts. But if your body and mind are on a different time clock - it may always be difficult. I am not an authority my any means, just a thought....
  • Livhere
    Livhere Posts: 141 Member
    I would speak to your Dr about it if it continues. I have an autoimmune disease that gives me stiffness all the time. I start my workouts mostly around 4am, but before I go I alternate between the heating pad & ice pack. Sometimes a hot shower helps loosen up my stiffness along with some light stretching. Just be sure to listen to your body. Sometimes it's best to take a rest day so your body can recover.