How do you track calories on holiday?

Options
I’m going to NYC for 5 days in October. I’ve only been doing MFP for a few weeks - joined up years ago but couldn’t do calorie counting but this time it’s really clicked. I’m enjoying it and doing well, but that’s because I can accurately look up or scan everything I’m eating. How do I do it when I’m eating out for every meal? Especially when in a country I don’t live in, so I’m not sure of usual ingredients in things, portion sizes etc. I don’t want to put on a load of weight in one week and derail my progress although I’d also like to enjoy my trip! (I’m pescatarian btw if that helps anything). Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Replies

• OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have the same kinda problem coming up. Gonna be on a cruise the end of the month and that will be tough. I'm just gonna do the best I can with estimating and making as many good decisions as I can. Sometimes I will slip because we are on vacation. Good luck to you.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I just guess as best I can and the macros just have to go totally to pot (I try to eat according to the macros I need but have no way of tracking accurately so don't bother). I would say that the portion sizes in NYC tend to be huge so the only piece of advice I would give is to be mindful of when you are feeling full.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I try to keep up with my water drinking so I don't confuse thirst for hunger and overeat or grab snacks.
    I typically don't log while traveling but have 1-2 meals that are smaller and then one that is more indulgent, without worrying about calories much.

For example oatmeal, banana, black coffee from hotel breakfast (instead of going out) then a big touristy type lunch and then just something small for dinner like grilled chicken and veggie. Or larger brunch out, skip lunch & have a "nice restaurant" dinner. In my everyday life I eat a small breakfast and moderate lunch & dinner, and wouldn't skip a meal. But I recognize sometimes when traveling it's different, especially if you're with others who want to go out (for example my husband likes to have nice restaurant breakfast or brunch so we compromise, doing it some days but having hotel offerings on other days).

Granted I'm maintaining a large loss and not actively losing so it doesn't feel AS major to me if I eat a few days over my calorie goals. But I generally have good luck with this when traveling and am only up 1-3 lb on my return, if at all.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well... I do my best not to track calories in general, especially when you are on a vacation/ holiday :) enjoy
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I do a best estimate and log that. When I was on vacation, I kept a written log. It was before I joined mfp.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    A lot of people just don’t track when on vacation.

When I’m on vacay I usually log the thing I’m sure of and sometimes estimate the items I’m unsure of. It can be tricky especially if you eat a food that is like nothing you have had before.

I try to stay really active on vacation and walk a lot so it balances out. My logging wasn’t great on my recent vacay, but because of all the walking, I didn’t gain despite eating dessert daily.

I’m technically pescetarian too although I don’t eat that much seafood. NY has a lot of options. Enjoy!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    RoisinO wrote: »
    I’m going to NYC for 5 days in October. I’ve only been doing MFP for a few weeks - joined up years ago but couldn’t do calorie counting but this time it’s really clicked. I’m enjoying it and doing well, but that’s because I can accurately look up or scan everything I’m eating. How do I do it when I’m eating out for every meal? Especially when in a country I don’t live in, so I’m not sure of usual ingredients in things, portion sizes etc. I don’t want to put on a load of weight in one week and derail my progress although I’d also like to enjoy my trip! (I’m pescatarian btw if that helps anything). Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

@RoisinO - hello from NYC! Hope you will enjoy your trip here. Welcome. 😉

I eat out a lot - I guesstimate when i can’t scan or order a simple food that doesn’t have many ingredients- ie salmon, vegetables etc.

If you go to Katz Deli for a typical pastrami sandwich - yes portion will be huge- if you go to a local restaurant - I find that portion sizes are not as big as most would think.

Any idea what kind of NY food you are looking forward to? I think NYC is a foodie paradise. :)
    Enjoy!!
  • RoisinO
    RoisinO Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. I'll definitely go with a strategy, and still log everything but just guesstimate as much as I can. I lost 56lbs and reached goal a few years ago and went to NYC on a trip and just ate whatever I wanted for the week - pancakes, pizza, fries, all the good stuff :D But I didn't mind because I knew a couple of pounds on wouldn't be that bad. Fast forward to when I've put most of it back on again... I've lost 6lbs (only been on it a few weeks) and I could easily put that on in a week but this time it would be back to square one and I'd be afraid of that crushing my motivation. Although I'm hoping to have lost another 4 by then at least.
    Any idea what kind of NY food you are looking forward to? I think NYC is a foodie paradise. :)
    Enjoy!!

I know that's what I'm afraid of :smiley: I like veggie and vegan, Asian, and generally I'm not very picky. Some recommendations for places that are healthy or more calorie conscious (if that's a thing) would be great. Before we just wandered in wherever looked good and I didn't care how naughty it was lol

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    RoisinO wrote: »
    Thanks all for the advice. I'll definitely go with a strategy, and still log everything but just guesstimate as much as I can. I lost 56lbs and reached goal a few years ago and went to NYC on a trip and just ate whatever I wanted for the week - pancakes, pizza, fries, all the good stuff :D But I didn't mind because I knew a couple of pounds on wouldn't be that bad. Fast forward to when I've put most of it back on again... I've lost 6lbs (only been on it a few weeks) and I could easily put that on in a week but this time it would be back to square one and I'd be afraid of that crushing my motivation. Although I'm hoping to have lost another 4 by then at least.
    Enjoy!!

I know that's what I'm afraid of :smiley: I like veggie and vegan, Asian, and generally I'm not very picky. Some recommendations for places that are healthy or more calorie conscious (if that's a thing) would be great. Before we just wandered in wherever looked good and I didn't care how naughty it was lol

The scale might go up because of water/weight fluctuation but gaining 6 pounds in a week is unlikely unless you really "went for it." It would take a minimum of 21,000 calorie above your maintenance to gain 6 pounds. Again, the scale might go up temporarily but that won't all be fat weight. I think most people here would agree with me that a 1 to 2 pound regain is more likely and 1 is the most likely scenario.

My normal strategy is:

1) Dampen hunger with lower calorie food before eating higher calorie menu options
    2) Be picky and stop eating anything I do not feel is worth the calories
    3) Move more as much as possible
    4) Enjoy

This keeps me from regaining unnecessary weight or regaining weight for food that I did not truly enjoy.
  • RoisinO
    RoisinO Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I look up the restaurant to check if they have any nutrition posted online. If not I will make my best guess using similar entries in the MFP database.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    This is something that I need to deal with very soon. A month long holiday in another country, no scales and many food items simply don't have energy values listed.

My strategy:
    don't bother with counting kilojoules
    measure my body daily
    aim for a particular degree of hunger during the day, not too much, not too little
    exercise when I can, I'll be near a beach which I can run on
    avoid restaurants
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Well, if I'm on holidays I got WAY better things to do than worry about tracking my food and I would much rather spend those few weeks a year indulging and enjoying myself as much as possible.

There's nothing I could do during the 4 weeks a year I'm enjoying a vacation that going to counteract or have much of an impact on the things I do the other 48 weeks.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I don't track calories in MFP but I do keep a mental track of my food intake. For me it means no binging and indulging in moderation. I don't drink, and I have no appetite for sweet deserts, so that helps me a lot. I try to exercise some, specially walking.

I also try to lose a lb or two before going on vacation so I have a cushion (I am in maintenance, so is easier to do). Just remember that you will probably return home with a couple of lbs of water weight due to the travel itself. Do not panic because you will be back to your normal wt. in few days or a week.

Enjoy your vacation and relish the freedom of NOT weighing and logging your food.