anything that goes well on pizza goes well in an omelette

Options
LAT1963
LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
edited September 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I can't think of anything that violates this rule of thumb, can you?

Ham, pineapple, and cheese
Cheese
Pepperoni
Sausage
Mushrooms
Anchovies
Pesto
Garlic
Avocados....

Replies

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Also red and green bell peppers, onions, goat cheese and spinach.

Almost forgot tomatoes.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a remarkably specific answer, but I love spreading a laughing cow cheese wedge on pizza before I put the sauce on. Adds a nice creaminess. Does not work so well in omelettes. It's hard to put it on so I just get globs of cream cheese. I suppose if you liked globs, it would work well...
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Pesto in an omlet? Eeewwwww.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »

Cheese
    Pepperoni
    Sausage
    Mushrooms
    Anchovies
    Pesto
    Garlic
    Avocados....

I love my omelettes but would never put the bolded options in them. Yuck. 😝
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a remarkably specific answer, but I love spreading a laughing cow cheese wedge on pizza before I put the sauce on. Adds a nice creaminess. Does not work so well in omelettes. It's hard to put it on so I just get globs of cream cheese. I suppose if you liked globs, it would work well...

I put cream cheese (which, technically, is not what laughing cow is, but let's ignore that) in my omelets all the time. Usually I put it in the beaten egg mixture itself, in smallish clumps, rather than putting it on top of the eggs after they've set. Yes, I do often come across recognizable small lumps of cream cheese. I see that as a feature, not a bug.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Cheese
    Pepperoni
    Sausage
    Mushrooms
    Anchovies
    Pesto
    Garlic
    Avocados....

But would you put them on pizza? I don't think I would care for anchovies on an omelet, but I don't put them on my pizza, either. Just small amounts of anchovy paste in salad dressing or occasionally on pasta.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Pineapple 🍍?
    😬
    Hawaiian omelette? Lol
  • LyndaBSS
    edited September 2019
    Options

Cheese
    Pepperoni
    Sausage
    Mushrooms
    Anchovies
    Pesto
    Garlic
    Avocados....

But would you put them on pizza? I don't think I would care for anchovies on an omelet, but I don't put them on my pizza, either. Just small amounts of anchovy paste in salad dressing or occasionally on pasta.

Yup, I would put anchovies on a pizza and would try in an omelette. I would rather die than eat a Hawaiian pizza. My husband used to like them. I couldn't even look at it. Blech.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Cheese
    Pepperoni
    Sausage
    Mushrooms
    Anchovies
    Pesto
    Garlic
    Avocados....

Yup, I would put anchovies on a pizza and would try in an omelette. I would rather die than eat a Hawaiian pizza. My husband used to like them. I couldn't even look at it. Blech.

The point I was trying to make was that if you wouldn't eat something on a pizza, then the fact that you wouldn't put it in an omelet doesn't disprove the premise of the thread.
  • LyndaBSS
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont

What about pepperoni? I love that on pizza but wouldn't dream of putting it in an omelette.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    What about pepperoni? I love that on pizza but wouldn't dream of putting it in an omelette.

Sure, I'd put any pork product that I already eat in an omelette. Ham, bacon, and kielbasa feel more natural to me than pepperoni, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I bought ham today and have pineapple, so now I'm going to have to try it with eggs. I think omelettes are a pain and make frittatas instead.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    While I'm very picky about eggs, I'm really not about omelette fillings. That said, pineapple in an omelette makes me shutter (I'm fine with it on a pizza). Other things that I wouldn't put on in an omelette include tomato sauce, bbq sauce, olives of any kind, and meatballs.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It is all about the pizza dough. Chewy, yeasty, crusty, no eggs can substitute for what good homemade, handmade kneaded dough can do. I am a snob, no shame.

A picture of our new pizza oven.

• lynn_glenmont
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont

Then I'd say you've disproved the premise of the thread, at least in your own case.

I think the premise of the thread basically ignores the huge role that emotions/custom/culture play in how people react to food.

Logically, the premise should be true. Eggs cooked into an omelet are a fairly bland, savory-leaning base for other foods. Bread dough cooked into a pizza crust is a fairly bland, savory-leaning base for other foods. What goes well on one should go well on the other, absent some texture difference that doesn't work (since the texture of pizza crust and an omelet should be very different).

But people's reaction to food doesn't work that way. They have visceral reactions that are heavily influenced by what they're used to. Logically, if you're willing to eat one dead mammal, you should be willing to eat any dead mammal. But most people in the U.S. probably limit the types of dead mammals they're willing to eat to cows, sheep, pigs, goat, deer, elk, and antelope. Many restrict their mammal eating to one, two, or three of those. A smaller number may eat bear, rabbits, squirrels, and opossum. I expect the vast majority would balk at guinea pig, which has a long history as a food source in Latin America.

If you're willing to eat dairy products made from the milk of one mammal, you ought to be willing to eat dairy products made from the milk of another mammal, but I've seen people reject goat's milk and goat's milk cheeses not based on taste (because they haven't tried it), but just out of some gut-reaction to the unfamiliar.

I've seen people who eat chicken eggs react as though there was something unpleasant about the idea of eating duck eggs or quail eggs.

And even on subjects without strong cultural mores, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would, for instance, eat a jelly donut (jelly in the U.S. sense of a jam made with just the juice and pectin, but no fruit solids) but would reject it as weird to plop a few spoonfuls of jelly on top of bowl of pudding (again in the U.S. sense of thickened, flavored milk roughly the consistency of custard or mousse) -- even people who would eat the same combination if you added pound cake, juice, liqueur, and whipped cream and called it trifle.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    It is all about the pizza dough. Chewy, yeasty, crusty, no eggs can substitute for what good homemade, handmade kneaded dough can do. I am a snob, no shame.

The fact that an omelet with X on it may not taste as good to you as a good, homemade pizza crust with X on it does not disprove the premise of the thread. It only proves that you like good, homemade pizza crust as a base for food better than you like eggs as a base for food.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Sweet! How hot does it get?
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It can get to 700 degrees.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Nice! What temp do you usually use?
  • L1zardQueen
    Options

Nice! What temp do you usually use?

500 degrees, 10 minutes or so.

So easy.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Using your own examples:

Ham, pineapple, and cheese -- I would eat pineapple with a ham and cheese omelet, but I would not put the pineapple in the omelet. I like Hawaiian style pizza.

Cheese -- sure

Pepperoni -- I don't really like pepperoni pizza, so the fact I wouldn't put it in an omelet is irrelevant

Sausage -- same answer as pepperoni (I think it's normal to have sausage in an omelet, but it doesn't appeal to me, I like sausage in other ways, however)

Mushrooms -- sure

Anchovies -- I love them, but not in an omelet, smoked salmon is my omelet fish of choice (and I don't think I'd put it on a pizza, although I've had some yummy pizzas with seafood

Pesto -- haven't tried, but maybe. Seems a bit too much oil to work, however.

Garlic -- sure

Avocados -- I don't have them on pizza anyway, but this is like the pineapple -- I very often eat half an avocado with an omelet, but wouldn't put it in the omelet (because I want the avocado cool, not hot).

I love olives on pizza and wouldn't put them in an omelet.

I wouldn't put tomato sauce in an omelet, but only chopped tomatoes.

Not saying any of this is anything beyond what sounds good to me.