Not a sensible weightloss strategy...

Options
Rurouni_Kou
Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
I'm going to have to preface this post with two things:
A) I have a very twisted and sometimes dark sense of humor. I've also been listening to Welcome to Night Vale too much, so I'm finding the subject of this post disturbingly funny, more so because I'm keep mentally reading parts of it reported in Cecil's voice. Must resist temptation to report this as Cecil would... must... resist...
B) A big huge

WARNING: This post may be disturbing for some! It deals with internal parasites. Ew.

That said, I ran across a post on Consumerist.com, my fav consumer blog, about something that we all can agree (or at least i sincerely hope everyone can agree- if you don't agree please see your doctor....) is not a sensible weightloss strategy. Yes, I'm talking about Tapeworms.

Link: http://consumerist.com/2013/08/16/infesting-yourself-with-tapeworms-is-not-a-safe-or-sensible-weight-loss-method/

"A desperate desire to lose weight leads people to do some wacky things. Like intentionally infesting their own guts with parasitic worms that they hope will suck up all of their nutrition, leaving them hungry and slender. Only that’s not really how tapeworms work.

It could be that the Iowa woman who walked into her doctor’s office and mentioned that oh yeah, she ordered a tapeworm online had been ripped off and sold a fake worm, or was making up a story. But the thought that someone might do this was enough to make state public health officials put word out to the public: don’t infect yourself with worms.

It seems like a good idea, but the end result isn’t what you want it to be. In theory, you can eat just about anything while the worm soaks up all of the sugar and carbs. In reality, a slender worm, even if it’s the same length as your entire intestinal tract, doesn’t need as many calories as a whole human. Heck, it might not even eat an entire donut every day. What it will do is absorb important vitamins that you need, like B12, making you sick. Sick, and still not skinny.

It’s not just Americans, either. Purported tapeworms were reportedly for sale on Taobao, China’s equivalent of eBay.

To any public health workers reading this, perhaps you should consider printing up copies of the illustrated and very graphic tale The Worm Within. The description of the death throes of a beef tapeworm will not only keep you from buying a worm online, but might put you off food entirely."

Replies

• Dersasaurus
    Dersasaurus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    But doesn't it look delicious?!

tn-Beef_Tapeworm.gif

(For reals, though. That's just gross...)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    GROSS :sick:
  • Dersasaurus
    Dersasaurus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Actually, now that I look at it again, it kind of looks like Fettuccine Alfredo.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Rurouni_Kou, I hope you've stopped consuming all wheat and wheat by-products...
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Options
    Rurouni_Kou, I hope you've stopped consuming all wheat and wheat by-products...

I have. I've found a new liking for portabello mushrooms, served rare and bloody, since my consumption of wheat and wheat by products has ended.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hongzhizhu/9502973436/

Edited to add photo
  • snazzyjazzy21
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that! I'm off to dinner myself, currently stuck waiting for the bus in the rain...
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that! I'm off to dinner myself, currently stuck waiting for the bus in the rain...

As long as it isn't dead animals. Water is much easier on the structural integrity of umbrellas.

ALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD.

(Damn, I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head all night, haha! - http://satellitehigh.tumblr.com/post/58275042245 to share ..."and yes the ****ing bus song is on here" )
  • snazzyjazzy21
    Options

As long as it isn't dead animals. Water is much easier on the structural integrity of umbrellas.

ALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD.

(Damn, I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head all night, haha! - http://satellitehigh.tumblr.com/post/58275042245 to share ..."and yes the ****ing bus song is on here" )

Haha I totally saw that, lol'd so hard!