Gaining while training for a HM

Options
2»

Replies

• GregInORL
    GregInORL Posts: 232 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I ran 3 marathons before losing 70+ pounds and now I'm prepping for 2 more at my lower weight. Before I didnt pay any attention to my food at all. Now I try to log as best I can. I normally run at night so I'm often going to sleep soon after my runs. I think that may be a big part of not succumbing to the RUNGER. Might be worth an experiment if you can make night runs work for you.
  • lokayshelokay
    lokayshelokay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to focus more on your weekly total calorie count and not daily. Make sure you stay consistant daily which will just mean on exercise days you will be under your daily burn and over on other days but at the end of the week the balance will be right.

Maybe that may work better?

Also remember when eating its about the right balance of macros and micro nutrients to help the full and hunger response.

So fibre feels you quickly, protein keeps you fuller longer and fat helps the hormone that triggers to say you have eaten enough. So small amount of fibre and fat and larger of protein in each meal.
    Then the mind controls the hunger. Eat slower so the full feeling catches up, drink as you eat. Lots of small tips
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Long distance cyclist rather than a runner but I find that if I eat appropriately on the day of the exercise itself (high to very high carbs) then I don't have hunger issues the following day.
    For me at least running down my carb (glycogen) stores is the trigger for wanting to switch to the "see food diet". ;)

It's easier as a cyclist as you can more comfortably keep topping up your carbs while you ride.

e.g. yesterday's 100km / 2,000+ calorie cycle ride I had a carby breakfast, ate/drank about 600 cals in carbs during the ride, ate a carby meal afterwards. Today I'm just eating as normal, even skipped breakfast as I didn't need it, no hunger issues at all.

I am very envious of your calorie burn! I can run 12 miles and not even hit 1k burned 😩
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I’m a long distance runner, and I think it also takes the body and mind a bit of time to adjust too. But the recommendations of using the TDEE method vs mfp are good too, to help stabilize everything on a day-to-day basis.