Almond "milk" deception

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    My teenage son is not a fan of all the dairy alternatives I keep buying and putting in the fridge. I made my own blend one day with several types of nuts, and offered him a taste. He was not amused. So I put it in a jug in the fridge and wrote NUT JUICE in big letters on it. He was still not amused.

How can that not amuse a teenage boy? I would be extremely amused to see that in the fridge and i am an old lady.

Because I'm his mother. All he is legally obligated to respond to anything I say or do is with an eye-roll.
  • ArmyVeteranM1A1C
    ArmyVeteranM1A1C Posts: 1,045 Member
    I'm gonna have to stick with "Almond Milk" on this one since "Decomposed Almond Fluids" kinda ruins my smoothie appeal and "Nut Milk" aint happening
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Yes it’s not really milk but it’s a milk substitute. Can you imagine asking for “almond juice in my latte”?
  • ArmyVeteranM1A1C
    Yes it’s not really milk but it’s a milk substitute. Can you imagine asking for “almond juice in my latte”?

Now I'm gonna have to
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    kam26001 wrote: »
    This had me laughing. In one native dialect we call all milk the root word for breast/source + animal/plant.

1. Human milk translated, milk from breast/source of his/her mother.
    2. Coconut (nuts, seeds or grain) milk translated, milk from flesh of coconut.
    3. Cow/goat/camel translated, milk from cow, goat, camel breast.

Terms for water and milk are different as they aren't from the same source. Eg. A nursing mum produces 2 forms of liquid (void and breast milk) ... Terms aren't interchangeable. Coconut water isn't coconut milk. Almond milk is extracted in much the same process as coconut milk.
    I've seen that camel milk at the grocery store.

NBfAkXh.png

What made me do a double take though was "Product of USA" on the label. Like where are we stashing camels at in this country? Probably in some huge tent somewhere in Ohio. Poor babies.

Camel milk here are produced in CA.
  • pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    This had me laughing. In one native dialect we call all milk the root word for breast/source + animal/plant.

Terms for water and milk are different as they aren't from the same source. Eg. A nursing mum produces 2 forms of liquid (void and breast milk) ... Terms aren't interchangeable. Coconut water isn't coconut milk. Almond milk is extracted in much the same process as coconut milk.

NBfAkXh.png

What made me do a double take though was "Product of USA" on the label. Like where are we stashing camels at in this country? Probably in some huge tent somewhere in Ohio. Poor babies.

I've heard that in Arkansas you can get opossum milk. But, you have to buy it off the interstate at a roadside stand from a dude named Big Earl. And whatever you do, don't stare at his teeth.
  • _Miss_Chievous
    _Miss_Chievous Posts: 601 Member

NBfAkXh.png

I think I'll stick to Nut Juice.
    fokbbd83aqwp.gif
  • ArmyVeteranM1A1C
    I mean, whoever first thought of drinking cow's milk had to have been a little messed up I think.

or just really really thirsty stuck out in a cow pasture
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I mean, whoever first thought of drinking cow's milk had to have been a little messed up I think.

And, what about goat milk! My word!

I like dairy, but I don't have to harvest it. The cow is an incredibly docile animal that can be seriously exploited. It's almost enough to make me switch to one of the "milk-like beverages" (BLBs), but not quite.
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I just added some engine milk to my car a bit earlier
  • very_californian
    very_californian Posts: 97 Member

Exactly.
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    I legitimately cracked up when I heard that regulators were trying to crack down on the use of "milk" to describe non-dairy products.

Peanuts aren't nuts, strawberries (and raspberries, for that matter) aren't berries, catfish aren't cats, the titmouse is neither a mouse nor a... well, you get the idea. People are smart enough to know that liquid from an almond was not, in fact, milked out of the glands of a female mammal. I don't think it's deception so much as colloquial analogy.

I suspect what the dairy industry is actually concerned about is the fact that people will choose non-dairy drinks over dairy drinks for a host of reasons, and by strong-arming non-dairy industries into using terms like "nut juice," consumers will be dissuaded.

But then we have to consider the fact that almonds are not, in fact, nuts.... they are fruits. So... fruit juice, then?

Ultimately I think it just boils down to an industry blaming others for its declining success, instead of adapting.
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member

I'm a veterinarian at a referral hospital in the southeast - one of our clients is the biggest dromedary camel farm in the US. =]
  • Reckoner68
    So you’re saying almonds don’t have nips?

Don’t shatter the illusion!
  • Reckoner68
    I saw Almond Milk Deception at a festival in ‘94
  • Pandemonium_
    Pandemonium_ Posts: 945 Member
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    I saw Almond Milk Deception at a festival in ‘94

Didnt the lead singer used to sing for Nut Juice Overlords?