Weight as an armor

Options
Has anyone had any success with overcoming this mental hurdle? Everything online says I need deep psychotherapy, but I don’t think I need all that. Just need a tool to utilize to overcome it. Any thoughts?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to being unable to change your weight because you're afraid it's going to make you vulnerable in some way?
  • alexandramyers
    alexandramyers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like I don’t want the positive attention I receive when I’m fit (like getting hit on).
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like I don’t want the positive attention I receive when I’m fit (like getting hit on).

I refuse to give the people who might comment (or might not) that kind of power over me and what I am doing to better my life.
  • alexandramyers
    alexandramyers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    “I'm coming to the [slow to learn] conclusion that it isn't even about me.”[/quote]

I think I needed to hear this.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I understand this. Last Christmas I had my second bad dating disaster in a short period. I blamed in part for what I looked like. I stopped training and gained 4 kilos. I stopped dating. I was no longer in my gym routine which had been a friendly place for me to go. My back started to hurt and I developed a gut. I realized I was just hurting myself. My health and self esteem being damaged more by my choices. I started training again & recently to try dating again. I made those choices for me. I think key is trusting yourself that you can handle attention and it's positive as long as you keep your boundaries. I hope that helps.
  • patwalsh1414
    patwalsh1414 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, for me my extra weight defenitly is making me feel more protected for the outside world
    I know when I have a healthy weight I feel much more vulnerable.
    But I feel very unhealthy being overweight, and I want to loose this weight for myself. At the same time I try to become physically stronger, and I hope this will help me to feel mentally stronger as well, so that when I loose weight I feel safe enough in my own skin.
  • bendeka
    bendeka Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel like it is the same with food as it is with any addiction.. Your brain will think of any excuse to get a "fix". Its just plain easier to eat and be fat... I often come up with different reasons that I just need to eat or why I should just give up.
    Keeping strange men and people in general away from me is often part of it... But I think the other commenters have made valid points. Especially the one on practicing role play!