Breakfast protien help...

I do best when. Breakfast is the same thing, every day. I have RA, among other things and mornings are sorta hard. I'M stiff, not interested in food, and usually skip it altogether. If I can eat the same thing every day, I get into the habit of making and eating it.

For breakfast, I was doing a fresh and frozen fruit smoothie, (a fresh plum, some peaches and berries, water ) and a scrambled egg, and one tortilla.

Then I worried about eating eggs each day, and so I changed out the egg and tortilla for a spoon of peanut butter on the side.

Peanut butter is really high in omega 6 so not great choice for someone who is inflammed with arthritis. Also I am getting sick of it. I love the smoothie part of my breakfast, but I am stuck on protien option.

Is a daily egg really that bad for you? The advice changes daily on this.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019
    It seems prevailing wisdom right now is that a daily egg (or two) is fine.
    If you eat meat, you could put some shredded chicken in the tortilla. Otherwise, you could make a big batch of beans to keep in the fridge for the week and throw some of those in the tortilla as well.

Alternately, you could put some protein in your smoothie - milk/soy milk, yogurt, protein powder.

Obviously I'm not sure whether any of those suggestions agree with you.
  • kimny72 wrote: »
    If you eat meat, you could put some shredded chicken in the tortilla. Otherwise, you could make a big batch of beans to keep in the fridge for the week and throw some of those in the tortilla as well.

Alternately, you could put some protein in your smoothie - milk/soy milk, yogurt, protein powder.

A batch of beans is an awesome idea. Thank you !

I am gonna get some pinto beans on. That will be a good change from an egg, too. I could alternate weekly on that.

Appreciate your response 🍎

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I eat two eggs every morning. My recent bloodwork shows everything in the normal ranges and my doctors were thrilled with my weight loss. 😀
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

I put Greek yogurt in my smoothies to add protein.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »

I put Greek yogurt in my smoothies to add protein.

Me too. More protein than an egg, at least with the amount I use.

But I don't think there's any issue with an egg daily either. I eat 2-egg vegetable omelets a lot and have no issues with my bloodwork.
  • shapcomp
    shapcomp Posts: 32 Member
    I am using almond milk, which is 60 calories a cup. Is that as healthy as milk? Also, when I was on Weight Watchers, a smoothie counted as more points than fruit and milk or yogurt as it lacked fiber. Can I safely count the calories if I measure everything correctly?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member

A batch of beans is an awesome idea. Thank you !

I am gonna get some pinto beans on. That will be a good change from an egg, too. I could alternate weekly on that.

Appreciate your response 🍎

I did an instant pot of lentils this morning. I didn't do them for the protein I needed to up my fiber. I ate them with 2 eggs, roasted broccoli and carrots. I had 25g of protein and 13 grams of fiber for brunch. The lentils also upped my potassium.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Another vote for adding protein powder to your smoothie. And an egg! Less prep/clean up time :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I put protein powder in my iced coffee. I don't always eat breakfast, but sometimes have an egg or some nut butter (maybe with a fruit or Graham cracker). No problem eating an egg a day, if that's what you want.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    greek yogurt, protein powder or egg whites are good for me.