How do you handle work dinners while on a diet?

2»

Replies

• stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Usually at most restaurant there is some sort of grilled chicken or fish with a side of vegetables or a salad that is not high calorie on the menu. My recommendation would be to order that.

This - I look for the "meat and potatoes" dish. Not the most exciting thing but the easiest way to eliminate the hidden/unknown calories for me. I find that most places will advertise the size of a steak, making it easy to cut it in half (or whatever) and box up leftovers. I guesstimate on chicken or fish.

Of course, this approach goes out the window about half the time because I get shiny object syndrome when I see some other delicious thing on the menu...it's a journey.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    What do you mean by an appetiser as your entree?

Aren't appetiser and entree the same thing?
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member

Yes it is. Entree is the plate before the main course.

On a 5 or 7 course meal, it is the appetizer.
    On a 3 course meal, it could be an appetizer or soup.

Regardless, it is not the main course.

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    If you know where you're going, you could plan your order ahead of time. If it's catered, eat as members have suggested.

Meals aren't really an issue for me going to events, rather alcoholic beverages are, where my muscles feel strained (sluggish, not at optimal level for me) the day after . You're on a learning curve ... A little weight fluctuation from one night Isn't permanent.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    With the rise of wellness plans I've noticed many companies notify in advance the location so calorie counters & meal planners can do their research.

Keep in mind it's just one meal and meaningless in the scope of a year of budgeting. The purpose of this is socializing, so focus on that. Take small portions and sample a bit. Drink water. Order club soda or low cal in place high cal alcohol & other beverages.
  • kristenmary70
    kristenmary70 Posts: 55 Member
    @purple4sure05 thanks for the update! I was about to post my tips, and read that you already made it thru your event! (I don't think I was going to advise "eat fried food" though, so you wouldn't have needed my advice, anyway!)
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member

In the US, Entree = Main course. As I've traveled more I have come to realize we Americans are the odd ones in this respect, as it seems for most of the rest of the world (and indeed the original French meaning) Entree = starter/app :-) So I'm assuming this person meant ordering a starter only instead of having a main, and going lighter that way.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    With the rise of wellness plans I've noticed many companies notify in advance the location so calorie counters & meal planners can do their research.

Keep in mind it's just one meal and meaningless in the scope of a year of budgeting. The purpose of this is socializing, so focus on that. Take small portions and sample a bit. Drink water. Order club soda or low cal in place high cal alcohol & other beverages.

Honestly at my work I do this ahead not so much for other calorie counters (though I am one) but for folks with dietary restrictions - vegetarian, halal, food allergies, etc - it helps be more inclusive if we can ensure we're going somewhere everyone can actually have meal options that's going to work for them, so discussing the place ahead helps.
  • paperpudding

In the US, Entree = Main course. As I've traveled more I have come to realize we Americans are the odd ones in this respect, as it seems for most of the rest of the world (and indeed the original French meaning) Entree = starter/app :-) So I'm assuming this person meant ordering a starter only instead of having a main, and going lighter that way.

Really?

I never knew anywhere considered entree and main meal the same thing.
    Learn something new every day

Here, in Australia, entree means a small dish (or sometimes soup) you have before the main meal - as does appetiser.
    Used interchangably, although I would say entree more common term, at least where I live.

although, thinking about it, appetisers is sometimes used for a collection of little things served before sitting down to the meal - say, at a wedding where you might have plates of finger food appetisers offered in the garden before coming inside to sit down at the table.
    Entree is more a small dish as part of the sit down meal.

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member

Really?

I never knew anywhere considered entree and main meal the same thing.
    Learn something new every day

Here, in Australia, entree means a small dish (or sometimes soup) you have before the main meal - as does appetiser.
    Used interchangably, although I would say entree more common term, at least where I live.

although, thinking about it, appetisers is sometimes used for a collection of little things served before sitting down to the meal - say, at a wedding where you might have plates of finger food appetisers offered in the garden before coming inside to sit down at the table.
    Entree is more a small dish as part of the sit down meal.

Canadian here.
    In a wedding or more formal setting we almost always refer to the little finger foods as hors d’œuvres.
    At a casual setting (house party), or restaurant we call them (or chips and dips and other light things) appetizers or “appies.”
    Entrée = main dish here when the word is mentioned. But we tend to say something along the lines of “I’ll have such and such to start, and then this for my main.”
    But if you say entree we know the person means main not appetizer.

Canada is a super weird language mix of British and French with American culture influence.
  • paperpudding
    Interesting.

hors d’œuvres is not in the vocab here at all - people might know what it means and even read it on menus occasionally but never heard anyone say it.

entree never means main meal here - had not heard of that usage until this thread.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Sounds like you ended up at a pizza place anyway. Two slices of pizza is 500-700 calories, usually, depending on the toppings, so that's all right.

Some good tips have already been mentioned, but one of mine is to cut the meal in half and take half home. That way I get to order the 1200 calorie dish but enjoy it twice.

I find it hard to keep my hands out of the bread basket, so I'll try passing it around to get it away from me. I order water or unsweetened tea instead of a drink, and if I order dessert, I'll have just a bite or two and then take it home for my husband. If anyone asks, I'll say, "Oh, I have an early morning tomorrow!" And indeed I do - getting an extra walk in to burn off some of those excess calories.

Personally, I always feel better when I see someone else turn down or carefully apportion food at work meals. Means I am not alone in being health-conscious and at least one other person is not judging me for it.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    A couple of strategies that work for me in both business and personal dining:
    • Be a hero and be the DD (designated driver) - not only does everyone get home safely but the "no drink for me" becomes a positive spin
    • If the menu is not to your liking ask your server to modify (and be flexible about paying more), for example I've asked for the chef salad to not have processed meat (ham, turkey, etc.) but rather grilled chicken, no cheese but extra veggies (green pepper, cucumber, etc.) - and if there is no offering of "lite" dressing I ask for oil & vinegar on the side
    • Specifically engage in conversation with a new person because the effort it takes can totally distract me from eating
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    sirloin steak is usually pretty lean and fairly low calorie with approximate weight listed on menu (easy to estimate and decide how much to save in a takeout box for another meal (or 2)). Grilled chicken will be pretty hit or miss (requires more skill by the cook to make it not suck without an added sauce while even lean steak is usually pretty idiot proof). Typically will be at least 1 vegetable option for the side that isn't that bad - you may want to ask that they put any butter/etc on the side (sometimes the otherwise low cal veggies can otherwise come drowning in it).