Strength training females

Options
For ladies out there doing strength training such as deadlifting, bench pressing, etc, how much above your maintenance do you eat or you eat maintenance? Starting really getting into it but have been eating whatever which is counteracting with the whole fix my body thing lmao. Please tell me your exercises and measurements and calorie intake.
I’m 5’2-5’3 and 126

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    No matter if I am losing, maintaining, or gaining (not that I’ve bulked) when using MFP I eat my all my exercise inc lifting cals, I need them otherwise I crash and lose weight when maintaining, or too fast if losing.

Using a TDEE calculator my lifting is included.

I run AllPro, it takes me 65-90 min (extra rest times) and eat 200 cal extra (5’1, 102lbs). The 200 is based on MFP numbers then run through personal data.
    (MFP cal burn can be found under ‘cardio’, ‘strength training’ and is a fair number to start with.

Cheers, h.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at maintenance but I’m not trying to lose weight. I sometimes have bouts of eating slightly in surplus but then usually run a very small deficit to get the fluff off. I’m 5’3, 54.5kg and do mostly Olympic lifts with accessory stuff.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I’m ft 8.5 and 140 pounds. I eat at maintenance usually. Which for me is about 2300 give or take. I don’t stress too much about macros other than to eat 140 G protein give or take and I eat fresh fruit and veg daily.
    I train 4 days a week following phul which is a 4 day upper lower split. Other than that I do the odd spin and step aerobics class. I sit on my backside for a living. I’ve been strength training for 2 and a half years on various programmes.

Can I ask if you are following ablufting programme or just doing one you have made up yourself? I would suggest following a programme unless you are highly experienced and qualified in coaching strength training.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot taller than you at 5'9" but also a lot older. I'm not trying to lose weight but I'd like to gain muscle so I loosely follow my TDEE per Fitbit (around 1800) plus.100 or 200 for lifting, although I can go way over that if I eat out. I mainly watch my protein intake (I don't eat meat so this takes vigilance) and my sodium is supposed to stay below 1500.

I follow the All Pro progran, with some modifications by my physiotherapist because of shoulder issues.

My weight is remarkably stable, my body composition varies.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm more or less eating at maintenance - I don't lift heavy (old, knee problems), but as much as I can to keep in reasonable shape.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I feel like a need to lose a couple of kilos at the moment though!
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    167cm here and 57.5 kg. Aiming for 59 kg, currently lifting (Strong Curves and some added lifts) and lean bulking.
    I've been 51 kg before but I look so much better with a bit of muscle/bulk on me.

Maintenance is around 2400 calories, currently on 2650 calories.
    Late 40s, gone through menopause and a lightly active lifestyle outside the gym.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I'm on a cut so currently in a caloric deficit, but strength train following a highly structured, periodized program.
  • rickigageby
    rickigageby Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So my question for all of you since this is all very new to me, when you eat in a deficit don’t you lose fat and muscle? Isn’t it counteractive?
  • rickigageby
    Options
    I currently don’t follow a program but would love too for those who can recommend a good one!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    So my question for all of you since this is all very new to me, when you eat in a deficit don’t you lose fat and muscle? Isn’t it counteractive?

By lifting in a deficit, you help tell your body to keep the muscle. Definitely not counterproductive or anything like that! I've lost weight with and without lifting and my body composition was completely different at goal despite being the same weight.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy and averaging a 100 calorie deficit for nearly a year. I'm down 7lbs, lifts increased, and visually didn't lose noticeable muscle mass. I have hit a plateau recently with my lifts. It was inevitable that something had to give.

My maintanence calories are generally around 2000-2100 calories. I'm about to bump up calories and see how the weight goes. (I'm 5'3 135lbs almost 40).

At your height/weight, you don't need to lose weight. You should read the recomp thread...someone will post it.
  • rickigageby
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

By lifting in a deficit, you help tell your body to keep the muscle. Definitely not counterproductive or anything like that! I've lost weight with and without lifting and my body composition was completely different at goal despite being the same weight.
    I've been lifting heavy and averaging a 100 calorie deficit for nearly a year. I'm down 7lbs, lifts increased, and visually didn't lose noticeable muscle mass. I have hit a plateau recently with my lifts. It was inevitable that something had to give.

My maintanence calories are generally around 2000-2100 calories. I'm about to bump up calories and see how the weight goes. (I'm 5'3 135lbs almost 40).

At your height/weight, you don't need to lose weight. You should read the recomp thread...someone will post it.

Thank you!
  • rickigageby
    Options

You said about strong curves, do they only sell the paperback? I’ve been looking for the PDF but can’t find it
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

You said about strong curves, do they only sell the paperback? I’ve been looking for the PDF but can’t find it

I'm not sure about PDF but you can find the e-book for Kindle on Amazon
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I basically eat at maintenance, but I don't log. I just watch the scale. I lift 2-3x per week, full body heavy weights. I increase weights or reps slowly, not necessarily weekly. I'm 5'3" 118-119
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

I own "Strong Curves". You're not going to want a digital version - in books like this where you have to flip around a lot, paper is superior. Paper is also superior over e-readers for graphic-intensive books like this.

My library system carries it - might want to see if yours does too so you can check it out before you by it.

I do see references about pdfs to track your workouts, but looking for these before you have the book is the wrong order to do things.