Intermittent Fasting calorie questions

Options
Hey all,

I just started my Intermittent Fasting journey and I just have a question about calories. Do you all stick to your daily calories but within your eating window?

Any info is appreciate. Thank you

Replies

• SERmom3
    SERmom3 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yes. My calories are set around 1400. I track all of my food mostly to make sure I don’t under eat, but it’s still possible to overeat when doing IF.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    elpint0r wrote: »
    Hey all,

I just started my Intermittent Fasting journey and I just have a question about calories. Do you all stick to your daily calories but within your eating window?

Intermittent Fasting is purely about WHEN you eat and has nothing to do with how much you eat. You still have to figure out a calorie target, macro breakdown, etc. The only difference between regular old counting calories and IF is: with IF you eat the calories within a small window of time and with calorie counting you eat those same calories spread out over the time you are awake.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Yes. Calories determine weight loss/gain/maintenance. Timing, macros, food quality, etc can make it easier or tougher to eat at the right calorie level (not to mention health, fitness, and enjoyment).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Do you all stick to your daily calories but within your eating window?

Yes precisely that - because your calorie balance determines if you lose, gain or maintain weight.

Personally I didn't enjoy 16:8 fasting (if that's the version of IF you are trying?) as the artificial rigid time restriction just plain got on my nerves and made me feel more restricted and less happy for the same calorie allowance.

I now do IIF (intermittent intermittent fasting!) - I skip breakfast most days but not all days.

The experiment was worthwhile though as I learned something useful about myself, if I want to lose a few pounds then breakfast is the first thing to go as I don't miss it, I'm no more or less hungry by lunchtime.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 and count calories. So, yes. I eat my allotted calories within my eating window.
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 meal a day. I’m finding that cutting calories by doing this is very easy. Most days I have to make sure my intake isn’t too low. Also doing keto and very low calorie diet. When people ask how I’ve lost so much weight I tell them I’m doing Keto+VLCD+OMAD and just watch them look at me with a puzzled face. Lol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 meal a day. I’m finding that cutting calories by doing this is very easy. Most days I have to make sure my intake isn’t too low. Also doing keto and very low calorie diet. When people ask how I’ve lost so much weight I tell them I’m doing Keto+VLCD+OMAD and just watch them look at me with a puzzled face. Lol

Aggressive dieting can mean a larger % of lean muscle loss. Healthy weight loss helps you lower your body fat %.

Curious, what habits (that you learned from dieting) do you permanently change for maintenance?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

As a male what do you consider a VLCD?
  • elpint0r
    elpint0r Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Do you all stick to your daily calories but within your eating window?

Yes precisely that - because your calorie balance determines if you lose, gain or maintain weight.

Personally I didn't enjoy 16:8 fasting (if that's the version of IF you are trying?) as the artificial rigid time restriction just plain got on my nerves and made me feel more restricted and less happy for the same calorie allowance.

I now do IIF (intermittent intermittent fasting!) - I skip breakfast most days but not all days.

The experiment was worthwhile though as I learned something useful about myself, if I want to lose a few pounds then breakfast is the first thing to go as I don't miss it, I'm no more or less hungry by lunchtime.

Explain a bit more about IIF? Whats your eating schedule like then?