Lowering BodyFat %

2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Honestly, it looks like you have more weight to lose. Lift heavy (for you), eat in a slight deficit (250 calories under maintenance), and put on your patient pants. It's gonna take awhile.

Since I agree with the above, the following isn't quite relevant yet, but is still a good read:
    Can someone pls link the “ does my uterus look big in this.” Thread for the OP. I’m incompetent at this messaging business.
    I darent post a pic of my plank belly. It’s not a pretty picture. All but the leanest women have some fat in their stomach area.

• stephanieadudley
    stephanieadudley Posts: 11 Member
    edited September 2019
    #1 - you look great. #2 have you thought about "shocking" your body by changing things up #3 if you don't do weight training, that's the best way to increase metabolism #4 get adequate protein. Most of us don't get enough. I have used a macro coach to help me. #5 you might need to drop caffeine intake #6 get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep #7 supplement with micronutrients #8 You might want to consider DNA testing in regards to fitness and nutrition. I found out that I have a low sensitivity to fats (I can eat way more without it impacting my weight) and I have a medium sensitivity to carbs - meaning, I have to watch those, but not as much as somebody with a high sensitivity. I found out that I lack both sprinter genes, so while HIIT (I love it) is great for my heart and my genetically low VO2 Max, the type of exercise that give me the best results are endurance sports, including weight training. I found out my body cannot process certain synthetic vitamins....like folic acid....at.all. I have the MTFR Gene mutation, so I must get folate from foods and supplementing with methylfolate (this is a player in metabolism and also pregnancy when that time comes). I also genetically require more Omega 3s and Vitamin D.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    @quicksylver0922
    @jjpptt2
    @J72FIT

I’m kind of in the same predicament. Only want my stomach gone. Shoulders and legs defined.

Why do you suggest only a slight caloric deficit (250)?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    @quicksylver0922
    @jjpptt2
    @J72FIT

I’m kind of in the same predicament. Only want my stomach gone. Shoulders and legs defined.

To preserve muscle mass and lose primarily fat. When you don't have much to lose, you should be losing at a slower rate. You can only oxidize so much fat in a day before you start to lose lean mass.
  • PiscesIntuition
    @mmapags

So my 1500 caloric deficit may be too much of a deficit?

Stats:
    Right now, my workout consists of P90x (so about half Strength training and half cardio). Six days working out, one rest day.
    141 lbs
    5’4”
  • PiscesIntuition
    mmapags wrote: »
    @quicksylver0922
    @jjpptt2
    @J72FIT

To preserve muscle mass and lose primarily fat. When you don't have much to lose, you should be losing at a slower rate. You can only oxidize so much fat in a day before you start to lose lean mass.

Couldn’t I just increase protein to preserve muscle mass?

• mmapags
    @mmapags

Stats:
    Right now, my workout consists of P90x (so about half Strength training and half cardio). Six days working out, one rest day.
    141 lbs
    5’4”

If you are eating 1500 calories per day, you are fine. If you are set to eat 1500 calories per day lower than your maintenance calories with the above stats, not only is it too much but it is dangerously unhealthy. That is a deficit that would be 3lbs per week and likely below the 1200 minimum for women.

How many calories per day are you actually eating and are your maintenance calories.
  • PiscesIntuition
    @mmapags

Stats:
    141 lbs
    5’4”

If you are eating 1500 calories per day, you are fine. If you are set to eat 1500 calories per day lower than your maintenance calories with the above stats, not only is it too much but it is dangerously unhealthy. That is a deficit that would be 3lbs per week and likely below the 1200 minimum for women.

How many calories per day are you actually eating and are your maintenance calories.

I certainly haven’t lost 3 pounds in a week.
    My BMR is 1327.
    My maintenance calories are 2057.
    With a 500 calorie deficit: 1555
    I’m eating around 1560 to 1760 a day.

• PiscesIntuition
    500 calorie deficit: 1557
  • mmapags
    @mmapags

Stats:
    141 lbs
    5’4”

My BMR is 1327.

Ah, ok. So a 500 calorie deficit not 1500 calorie deficit. Honestly, with probably 20 lbs or less to lose, that is a little aggressive. You would be better losing those last lbs at a slower rate for the reasons I mentioned.
  • PiscesIntuition
    edited September 2019
    @mmapags

Stats:
    141 lbs
    5’4”

My BMR is 1327.

Ah, ok. So a 500 calorie deficit not 1500 calorie deficit. Honestly, with probably 20 lbs or less to lose, that is a little aggressive. You would be better losing those last lbs at a slower rate for the reasons I mentioned.
    @mmapags Yes, my apologies! I worded it incorrectly.
    From my understanding, I set it to lose 1 pound a week. Since I’ve been eating around 1560, I haven’t lost any pounds. However, I’ve lost half an inch. Which is perfectly fine by me! My focus is on fat loss/inches loss vs weight loss.

I just wanted to know why there were recommendations for a slight caloric deficit vs a 500 calorie one.
  • mmapags
    @mmapags

Stats:
    141 lbs
    5’4”

My BMR is 1327.

From my understanding, I set it to lose 1 pound a week. Since I’ve been eating around 1560, I haven’t lost any pounds. However, I’ve lost half an inch.

How long ago did you set it to 1560? Did you start an exercise program around that time? Are you using a food scale to dial in your intake?
  • PiscesIntuition
    edited September 2019
    @mmapags

Stats:
    141 lbs
    5’4”

My BMR is 1327.

From my understanding, I set it to lose 1 pound a week. Since I’ve been eating around 1560, I haven’t lost any pounds. However, I’ve lost half an inch.

How long ago did you set it to 1560? Did you start an exercise program around that time? Are you using a food scale to dial in your intake?

I set it that way a week ago. I’ve been on this round of P90x since May 2019. Back in May, it was at 1200 calories for just 2 weeks. Then I increased it to 1350. From the second half of May until a week ago, I’d been eating 1350-1450 calories.

My starting weight in May, before P90x, was 156 lbs.

Yes, I use a food scale and/or count out everything that goes in my mouth.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited September 2019
    #1 - you look great. #2 have you thought about "shocking" your body by changing things up #3 if you don't do weight training, that's the best way to increase metabolism #4 get adequate protein. Most of us don't get enough. I have used a macro coach to help me. #5 you might need to drop caffeine intake #6 get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep #7 supplement with micronutrients #8 You might want to consider DNA testing in regards to fitness and nutrition. I found out that I have a low sensitivity to fats (I can eat way more without it impacting my weight) and I have a medium sensitivity to carbs - meaning, I have to watch those, but not as much as somebody with a high sensitivity. I found out that I lack both sprinter genes, so while HIIT (I love it) is great for my heart and my genetically low VO2 Max, the type of exercise that give me the best results are endurance sports, including weight training. I found out my body cannot process certain synthetic vitamins....like folic acid....at.all. I have the MTFR Gene mutation, so I must get folate from foods and supplementing with methylfolate (this is a player in metabolism and also pregnancy when that time comes). I also genetically require more Omega 3s and Vitamin D.

#1 - yes
    #2 - :lol: That's not a thing.
    #3 - Strength training (weight training is one option) is great for body composition, but each additional pound of muscle only burns a small number of calories daily (single digits), and it takes at least a month for most women to gain a pound of muscle under optimal conditions, so no. But do strive to increase strength, because it's a great long-term investment.
    #4 - Sure, protein is important. 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight is adequate for most. You don't need a coach.
    #5 - WTF?
    #6 - A good thing.
    #7 - Just eat 10+ servings of varied, colorful veggies and fruits, you'll be fine (may be OK with fewer, but veggies/fruits are delish and filling so why not?)
    #8 - Totally, totally optional. Majoring in the minors.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member

Post like this are tough. There's so much good advice in there but it's mixed in with so much nonsense that it's gonna get negative reacted like crazy.

Luckily some of the good people here have to time and the knowledge to sift the wheat from the chaff and address each point individually.