What's a normal day to day fluctuation

Options
I don't usually weigh daily, but after a "naked" weight yesterday, I decided to try again today. Basically the same circumstances, only difference I can think of is about 250ml water less this morning. Anyway, my weight was almost 2 pounds less in 24 hours. That seems like a lot.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Regular fluctuation is generally + or - 5 pounds, although it can be more depending on the circumstances. Water weight can change based on many factors, including things like stress and hormones, so it's not worth trying to control or even worry about. Better to just track trends in weight loss over several weeks to know if fat is coming off.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Really any change from one day to another is a fluctuation. Because you are likely only gaining or losing weight inf reactions of a point. So any movement above and beyond 0.2 to 0.4 pounds per day in either direction is just water weight. It can be several pounds either direction for most people.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    For me, it is usually within 2 pounds. And it can show as a loss or a gain. Some people have reported bigger fluctuations than that, though, so I think it probably varies by individual. You’d have to spend some time weighing daily in order to see how your own body works.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    ^^Yeah, what they said.

Also, the larger you are the larger the fluctuations. More body mass requires more fluid. Lots of things contribute to fluctuations.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I can count on a 3 pound spike two days after having Chinese food.

I also spike when I ovulate and premenstrually. Because of this, I compare my weight to where I was in the same point of my cycle last month.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    My highest fluctuation was over 3 pounds in a 24 hour period. Typically, it's + or - 0.5.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I can count on a 3 pound spike two days after having Chinese food.

I also spike when I ovulate and premenstrually. Because of this, I compare my weight to where I was in the same point of my cycle last month.

That's a really good idea! I have been so frustrated because during my cycle, my scale can creep up to 136-140 but on other weeks, It's 126 or 127. I havent been able to break through that lower barrier before the next cycle starts again and I'm back up another ten pounds. I have found this very frustrating. I believe my body composition is changing and I can tell I'm losing because my apple watch is more loose than it was.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Day to day fluctuations is the reason I normally weigh Monday and Friday and compare that to the previous Monday or Friday.
    I guess ordering pizza because my weight dropped 2 more pounds may not be an option. :)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    Day to day fluctuations is the reason I normally weigh Monday and Friday and compare that to the previous Monday or Friday.
    I guess ordering pizza because my weight dropped 2 more pounds may not be an option. :)

Believe me, we all wish it was that way, lol.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    :lol: Monday and Friday weigh ins used to mess with me, too!
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Salt and carbs make you retain water for a bit I think too - and hard exercise. I find if I have a few drinks one evening - the next day I am often a bit lighter (dehydration!). Or if you need a massive poo (sorry!)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Now that I am post menopausal, my daily fluctuations are usually no more than a pound. Before, I could gain as much as 4-5 lb right before my period (although reducing salt intake made PMS symptoms less and I only added about 2 lb). The exception to this is times when the weather suddenly gets warmer and humid or cool and dry. I tend retain water during warm humid weather, then drop it as the temps cool down.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Well according to the MFP calculator, my homemade whole wheat pizza crust with pepperoni, mushroom, pizza blend cheese and sauce is only 541 calories for 1/4 of a pizza. And I won't use the whole recipe for one pizza because then it will be sitting around in the fridge calling to me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    around 2 pounds on any given day, up to 5 or 6 if retaining water due to TOM
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Up to 2 pounds day to day can be pretty common for me, the most I've seen was 7 pounds after a hot race weekend (lots of electrolytes and sodium to keep from dehydrating during races). Not unheard of to see even a 3-4 pound difference if a few factors (hard workout, higher sodium, etc) are involved. I have an IUD so don't see the monthly hormone fluctuations some have to deal with.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    +/- 2 to 3 Lbs is pretty normal for me. I've had a spike of as much as 8 Lbs after a long plane flight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Well according to the MFP calculator, my homemade whole wheat pizza crust with pepperoni, mushroom, pizza blend cheese and sauce is only 541 calories for 1/4 of a pizza. And I won't use the whole recipe for one pizza because then it will be sitting around in the fridge calling to me.

Good strategy - I do similar :)

Another thing I do with potentially problematic food, especially baked goods - I love to bake! - is make it the day before I see my mother and brother and leave it with them, and give some to my neighbors.