Keto in the UK at 50......

Options
New to keto but not MFP. Lost all my weight and stabilized nicely till I met my other half. Happiness and contentment have a lot to answer to lol.

Started 1 week ago. Everything seems to be going ok as lost 4lbs which was amazing as I was at a rock festival at the weekend!!! Tried my best to stick to the diet while having a boogie and vodka with soda.

SW 16st 1lb (heaviest for the year)
CW 15st 6lb

Need to lose at least 3 stone as due to have a hip replacement and weight isn't helping.

Any help or support would be greatly appreciated and I will reciprocate of course ;)

Thanks in advance

Mich x

Replies

• goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I really hope that this works well for you too - it has been a revelation to me.

I'm on LCHF rather than keto (similar but not quite as strict about counting carbs) and began this with reading 'THE IDIOT-PROOF DIET' . (I was really fed up with calorie-counting and needed something not too fussy but which allowed me a glass of wine or two when in company :)

It seemed impossible to give up sweets and cakes and puddings. (On calorie-counting diets they have always been a high proportion of my daily count.) However, I gave the new plan 2 weeks trial... missed my sugar fixes at first and then found that they were no longer a big deal to me.

The high fat of this way of eating seems to leave me satisfied - not a feeling I'm used to.

After 12 weeks my tastes had really changed and now I can take or leave sweet things in exactly the way that my slim relations here do. (Amazing)

I choose cheese now and coffee with cream rather than dessert. A few squares of dark choc are lovely but I don't want a bar and I am untroubled by the several opened packs of biscuits/chocolate in my kitchen cupboards. This has never happened before; it is weird!

So far then, (a year and a half in) this seems to work well for me and I'm finding it sustainable. Down 50lb so far and about a stone to go to reach BMI appropriate territory. I keep waiting for it to fail me but all is well for now and the weight goes down little by little.

All good wishes to you on your trial of this way of eating!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I recommend joining The Keto group and The Low Carber Daily Forum group.

Lots of tips, recipes, and active discussions.

I am finding new ways not to feel deprived eating keto. (Eating keto due to disease causing extreme and painful sensitivities to some carbs and sweeteners).

I eat fruit and veggies daily, still coming in very low net carbs. I have started playing with keto desserts to sooth any sweet tooth cravings.

I basically cook meat and veggies in olive oil every meal. Snack on fruit, meat, eggs, cheese, or keto ice cream, keto chocolate/peanut butter frozen bombs.

Good luck.
  • m1chg
    m1chg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration ladies. It's good to know there are other active members around! I've found a lot of keto suggestions when I do a search are from last year or longer! I will definitely look at those 2 suggested groups. I've not craved chocolate yet but was actually looking online last night to see if there was something I could have in the cupboard ready for when it hits! Plus I didnt even think of peanut butter as being an option. I will get the hang of this lol x
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    m1chg wrote: »
    Thanks for the inspiration ladies. It's good to know there are other active members around! I've found a lot of keto suggestions when I do a search are from last year or longer! I will definitely look at those 2 suggested groups. I've not craved chocolate yet but was actually looking online last night to see if there was something I could have in the cupboard ready for when it hits! Plus I didnt even think of peanut butter as being an option. I will get the hang of this lol x

Unsweetened peanut butter or any nut butters are keto friendly.

Favorite treat in my house:
    I make frozen chocolate peanut bombs.

Equal parts coconut oil and peanut butter (usually 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup --depending on how many I want to make). 1-2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia-monk fruit--swerve (whichever keto sweetener to taste) all heated on low until blended together, remove from heat add in 1/4 cup of heavy cream or happy and half, 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes (optional), spray ice tray or two with nonstick spray (I like the coconut oil spray). Silicone ice trays work better, I don't believe they need to be sprayed). Pour evenly, freeze, pop out, can leave frozen or stick in refrigerator. Makes 20-40. We eat one or two a day.

Can add vanilla extract and melt in cream cheese instead of coconut flakes for a cookie dough taste.

Love these!! We like to leave frozen, they're like a little chocolate fudge popsicle bite.
  • m1chg
    m1chg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened peanut butter or any nut butters are keto friendly.

Favorite treat in my house:
    I make frozen chocolate peanut bombs.

Equal parts coconut oil and peanut butter (usually 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup --depending on how many I want to make). 1-2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia-monk fruit--swerve (whichever keto sweetener to taste) all heated on low until blended together, remove from heat add in 1/4 cup of heavy cream or happy and half, 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes (optional), spray ice tray or two with nonstick spray (I like the coconut oil spray). Silicone ice trays work better, I don't believe they need to be sprayed). Pour evenly, freeze, pop out, can leave frozen or stick in refrigerator. Makes 20-40. We eat one or two a day.

Can add vanilla extract and melt in cream cheese instead of coconut flakes for a cookie dough taste.

Love these!! We like to leave frozen, they're like a little chocolate fudge popsicle bite.
    [/quote]

These sound amazing. Something I can batch make at the weekend for sure 👍