Macros and calories don’t match up??

Options
If I hit my macros, shouldn’t I automatically hit my calorie goal? I always seem to be below calories but hitting my macros, even over on protein at times.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Your macros add up to 100%, no matter what your calorie allotment is. Whether you're under or over your calories, your macros will always be 100%.

I don't pay much attention to the macros. I focus on staying in a calorie deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    lfschaper wrote: »
    If I hit my macros, shouldn’t I automatically hit my calorie goal? I always seem to be below calories but hitting my macros, even over on protein at times.

Are you checking that the calories and macros in the database entries you're choosing are accurate? Most entries are user entered and some are incomplete. If you're off by a lot, that's probably the culprit.

Also, there is some rounding allowed on US nutrition labeling. If you're just off by a little, rounding is probably the reason.

And if you're logging anything that includes alcohol, it is its own macro, but is not reflected in the food diary, so that might mess up your numbers too, though in the opposite direction than what you're running into.