OMG!!! I went overboard on my calorie count!!!

Tonight I was exhausted from work and I went in to grab dinner at restaurant and I didn’t expect a major overload calories!!! This is first time I went way over. But I’m still monitoring my daily meals. Seems like I “slipped” out of bounds. Am I being too hard on myself? Need your support!!!

Replies

• BachataDancer
    BachataDancer Posts: 77 Member
    I actually find when I screw up every once in a rare while it's a good thing and gets me over a hurdle. You're going to do better tomorrow!
  • wshill7
    wshill7 Posts: 25 Member
    Oh really? I’m working on losing weight instead. I can eat at least 1720 calories per day. If I do any activities it’ll increase a little bit but my nutrition and movement trainer adviced me to stay at 1720 as much as possible. It’s working. I’ve started 35 days ago.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    i agree - figure you went over once and move on.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    You’re doing fine. Going over you calorie target once in awhile is no big deal. It’s what you do the majority of the time that matters. Consistency over perfection.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Log everything and move on. The process is more important than the numbers. In the course of a week, what happens at any one meal won’t count for much.

But be sure to log it and remember. I found that I disliked tracking overages so much that I worked harder to avoid them.

And it’s just not possible to do anything as long term as weight loss and not make mistakes. Mistakes can be anything from fatigue caused lapses, bad plans, bad judgment, loss of concentration, to misread menus or NI, or simple math mistakes. Good news is calorie counting doesn’t need to be perfect to work.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    wshill7 wrote: »
    Tonight I was exhausted from work and I went in to grab dinner at restaurant and I didn’t expect a major overload calories!!! This is first time I went way over. But I’m still monitoring my daily meals. Seems like I “slipped” out of bounds. Am I being too hard on myself? Need your support!!!

Forgive yourself. Just go back to your plan with the next meal.
  • wshill7
    wshill7 Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you for your encouragement and support!!! I truly appreciated. Hugs to y’all!!! Wish the same goes for you!
  • ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    Only one day won't hurt. The worst that will happen is you'll even out everything and not lose anything this week.
    Don't weigh yourself till about 4 days time though otherwise you'll see that day on the scale. When you weigh yourself (unless you have a condition like thyroid) you see 2 to 3 days earlier on the scale.

• koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    As people have pointed out, we all have times when we fall off the wagon or get close to the edge of the wagon. I've been on the journey since Jan this year and I've exceeded a few times - it doesn't seem to have made much difference in the scheme of things.

On the days when I've gone over, I've been tempted to not record the spillovers in my diary ... but then i have always gone back and recorded it anyway, just so that I am honest with myself and I'm glad I did because it shows that in the end - it's ok as long as you are aware and you try to fix things later.

I've usually compensated by eating less the next few days or exercising more - overall it evens out. I think if you find that you're going over consistently, then you might need to look at whether you're eating enough/exercising too much/stressed/not finding snacks that fill you up enough etc.

Don't be too hard on yourself!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited September 2019
    Ok, my turn to confess. I got distracted last night and forgot to eat supper. About 1 am I remembered, but decided it was too late, so went to bed. This morning I had a regular breakfast. I had a regular lunch, was still hungry, so I had a big cinnamon roll and 2 bowls of ice cream. Oops! Over 1000 calories for lunch. I had a regular supper tonight to get back on track ASAP. Definitely over calories today. Will it hurt in the long run? No. Is it a good idea? Probably not. Is it sustainable? No. Several days like this and I would be gaining! But I’m already back on track, so I’m not worried. Life is good!

ETA. And I already know. I have a tendency to forget to eat, then get hungry and overeat. I KNOW I have to watch out for it. This is the first time it’s happened in years, BECAUSE I know it’s a problem for me.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Think about it this way. If you are supposed to floss everyday and you accidentally miss a day of flossing. Is it better to quit or to pick yourself back up and floss the next day?

You floss the next day! So forget about what you did and move on.

This is great! I agree. Sticking with it is more important than never making a mistake.

Slow and steady wins the race. :smile: