How do I lose weight when I am on medication that causes me to gain?

I've been tracking my food for over a month (average 1300 calories per day). I have yet to lose any weight. One possible side effect of the medication I'm on is weight gain. How do I prevent this or is it a losing battle? I'd love some encouragement here. Thanks!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    After being on mfp for 2 months, my doctor switched me to a med that can cause weight gain. It took almost a month, with wild fluctuations, staying in a calorie deficit, that the weight started coming off.
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Find out why it causes weight gain. If the medicine impacts metabolism or causes water retention that might be harder to deal with, but a lot of medicines cause weight gain bc they increase hunger or decrease energy/activity. For that you just have to stay consistent with logging and hitting your calories
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    I doubt any one here can rightly can diagnose if your medication is causing you to not lose weight. You and your doctor are most likely the best judges of that. I know my sisters gained a lot of weight taking Paxil. You should talk with your doctor and research the medication you're taking. Maybe there are other patients taking the same meds who have your experience. I understand how frustrating it all must be.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I had a problem with an antidepressant a few years ago. I started using it, then I'd have compulsive thoughts to go and get junk food, pizza, whatever. I was tracking my food spending and spending on food increased by about 60%.

Fortunately the antidepressant didn't work, I'd gained about 1 kilogram a week. After 7 weeks I stopped using it.

If I ever experience that again, I'll have a system where I have to write down what I plan on eating at least 2 hours before I can have it. Hopefully that will be sufficient.
  • pjohnson71
    pjohnson71 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for all of your helpful input. I was losing weight before I went on the medication, so that's probably what it is. I'm wondering if I eat more protein and less carbs if that would help. I've cheated maybe 3 times in the past 5 weeks (one was eating some of my own birthday cake!) It's almost like I can NEVER cheat! Is 1300 calories too much (I'm 5'8")
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I am sorry for your struggles!

Maybe invest in a food scale to see if you are actually eating 1300 calories. I am 5'3" and am losing on 1800 calories.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    pjohnson71 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of your helpful input. I was losing weight before I went on the medication, so that's probably what it is. I'm wondering if I eat more protein and less carbs if that would help. I've cheated maybe 3 times in the past 5 weeks (one was eating some of my own birthday cake!) It's almost like I can NEVER cheat! Is 1300 calories too much (I'm 5'8")

I personally would advise sticking with the calorie allotment that mfp gave you.

Having been there, done that, got the t-shirt I don't believe there's any need to switch things up because of the meds. Be patient, let your body adjust.
  • ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    Are you able to exercise. It doesn't have to be anything overly strenuous, just a light walk or something that you like that if you're not already.
  • pjohnson71
    pjohnson71 Posts: 3 Member
    I walk 5000+ steps three times a week as well.
  • CourierSixx
    CourierSixx Posts: 50 Member
    I have bipolar so I know about weight gain from meds. I gained 30lbs in 3 months on abilify. It was water weight but also ice cream. I ate too much of it.

I don't know what kind of med you are on but some meds can slow down the metabolism, cause water weight or make you want cookies, pizza and Snickers. Ask your doctor and make sure your med isn't causing edema. Or high blood sugar and cholesterol.

Plan your day out, only eat the foods you planned, weigh all your food, do not eyeball it, do not use measuring cups. Up your exercise. Aim for at least an hour. If you can't do an hour at once, divide that hour up. 20 mins morning, 20 min afternoon, 20 min evening.

Also this article was interesting https://www.google.com/amp/s/medicalxpress.com/news/2017-08-team-weight-gain-receptor-linked-antipsychotic.amp

Oh and PS do not call your food cheating. If you ate cake, so what, allow for it once a week or once a month or whatever and track it and move on.