So the pharmacist asked me about my diet

Options
2»

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I worked at a Pharmacy. The female Pharmacists single-handedly kept the Slim Fast aisle in business.

They swore the Slim Fast worked. It didn't. They still complained about being fat. I think they just liked the "guilt free" sweets.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I worked at a Pharmacy. The female Pharmacists single-handedly kept the Slim Fast aisle in business.

They swore the Slim Fast worked. It didn't. They still complained about being fat. I think they just liked the "guilt free" sweets.

Its true. I love meal replacement shakes because I find them to be delicious, and often drank them for enjoyment.

Sadly, that's not the route to weight loss and probably caused me to gain a little. Or more than a little. =P
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My doctor noticed I lost weight, and I explained it as "eat less, move more, count calories, stopped snacking on chips and cookies." She nodded her head and kept going, totally uninterested. I thought she'd be proud lol. But I guess she was just looking for something bonkers like, "I exist on celery and fairy dust, and eat a cube of cheese when I feel like I might faint" so that she'd know if she had to refer me for psychiatric evaluation.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    You don’t count calories??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My dad lost his weight doing Atkins...same thing...he never physically counted anything.

The Atkins I did in 2003 by following DANDR to the letter on the page required calculating and counting the amount of net carbs I ate every day. That is how you found at what custom number of grams/day you lost, maintained, and gained, weight. So a person could figure out how many carbs s/he could eat and stay in one of those groups as Atkins is not 20 grams/day for the rest of ones life.

Maybe Atkins the corporation did away with the foundation of the diet after Dr. Atkins death/publications post-DANDR, but then it really isn't Atkins anymore is it vs. just eating lower carb by avoiding the obviously high carb foods.

My dad did Atkins in '95...IDK, but I know he never counted anything...that was never his bag. He just ate a lot of meat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    fitpal4242 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Pamela_Sue wrote: »
    People are still looking for that magical solution - good luck finding it!

I don't think it's so much looking for a magical solution (maybe some people) as it is that calorie counters are a minority in the dieting world. I think for a lot of people, it's just easier to do a prescribed diet...calorie counting can be kind of a PITA IMO.

I know quite a few people who've lost weight over the years, and I'm the only one that ever counted calories.

I think at the end of it all, the only reason those other fad diet works is because it makes people think twice before they randomly eat- they don’t eat from the bread basket or take the cookie being offered at the office, for example. I firmly believe that at the end, it still amounts to CICO.

Nobody said otherwise...
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The nurse at my gastroenterologist office was stunned when looked at the records from my family doctor and saw I weighed 186 in 2016 (I'm 130 now). She thought it must be a mistake :lol: Then she of course asked how I did it. Apparently they just don't see a lot of people who are successful at weight loss.

Apparently not. I am practically bigfoot around here. I could cage myself and sell tickets for viewings.

It would be nice if weight loss was a boring subject because everyone was successful not because what I did was "boring" to accomplish what I have so far.
    Soooo, retirement plan right there? Could be worse :lol:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The nurse at my gastroenterologist office was stunned when looked at the records from my family doctor and saw I weighed 186 in 2016 (I'm 130 now). She thought it must be a mistake :lol: Then she of course asked how I did it. Apparently they just don't see a lot of people who are successful at weight loss.

Apparently not. I am practically bigfoot around here. I could cage myself and sell tickets for viewings.

It would be nice if weight loss was a boring subject because everyone was successful not because what I did was "boring" to accomplish what I have so far.
    Soooo, retirement plan right there? Could be worse :lol:

I don't like being stared at so it might end with feces flinging.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Wow. Maybe I should make up a magical story and see who believes that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    My doctor noticed I lost weight, and I explained it as "eat less, move more, count calories, stopped snacking on chips and cookies." She nodded her head and kept going, totally uninterested. I thought she'd be proud lol. But I guess she was just looking for something bonkers like, "I exist on celery and fairy dust, and eat a cube of cheese when I feel like I might faint" so that she'd know if she had to refer me for psychiatric evaluation.

This strikes me as projection.

Seems more likely to me the doctor wanted to make a brief comment about your weight loss but was not interested in the details of how you did it

and why would he/she be?

They are not asking you for weight loss advice, just making a passing comment on it.