Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it unhealthy to drink one latte a day?

I recently got myself into starbucks because I've always loved the taste and smell of coffee, but I like to avoid caffeine due to it's effects on anxiety and heart palpitations, so I started ordering tall decaf lattes and have one almost every day. I use almond or coconut milk and don't usually add any sweeteners to it. Would this be considered unhealthy? Should I cut down my consumption?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Drinking one latte every day would not generally be unhealthy I don't think, even with regular milk and a little sugar. But if it causes anxiety or heart palpitations for you personally, it could be.

Individual foods are rarely "unhealthy", it is your total diet that is either healthy or unhealthy. If your latte increases your anxiety symptoms, you should lay off. Otherwise, if it fits in your calories and you enjoy it, it's fine.

I drink 1-2 cups of coffee, a diet soda, and often 1-2 cups of tea per day.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    What are your goals? Are you trying to lose weight? Does the latte fit within your calorie target for the day?
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,509 Member
    edited September 2019
    Track your macros, if you are keeping in the green across most of the board most of the time then nothing is 'unhealthy'. I find MFP sugar difficult as I have a lot of fresh fruit and milk in lattes and porridge. It is not hindering my progress at all as I still get withing my net calories, net fat, carbs, etc and always get my calcium quota.
  • What are your goals? Are you trying to lose weight? Does the latte fit within your calorie target for the day?

My goal is currently maintenance, but I wouldn't mind losing another pound. On days that I have a latte, I make sure I have the calories left to do so beforehand. Aside from having a granola or protein bar as a snack, the latte is my only other treat for the day. I eat healthy the rest of the time.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    I hate the whole "healthy" or "unhealthy" labels put on certain types of food and drinks. Too much of anything can have a detrimental affect. Even if it doesn't at the moment, our bodies change as we age and what we can tolerate now we may develop an intolerance for later. How about this for an entry into the debate:

xyztkvez7ts6.png
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    What are your goals? Are you trying to lose weight? Does the latte fit within your calorie target for the day?

My goal is currently maintenance, but I wouldn't mind losing another pound. On days that I have a latte, I make sure I have the calories left to do so beforehand. Aside from having a granola or protein bar as a snack, the latte is my only other treat for the day. I eat healthy the rest of the time.

Then what is your concern exactly? I don't see a problem.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I recently got myself into starbucks because I've always loved the taste and smell of coffee, but I like to avoid caffeine due to it's effects on anxiety and heart palpitations, so I started ordering tall decaf lattes and have one almost every day. I use almond or coconut milk and don't usually add any sweeteners to it. Would this be considered unhealthy? Should I cut down my consumption?

Assuming it fits in your cals, why would this be unhealthy?

Why would even a non decaf latte with milk and a bit of sweetener be "unhealthy" within cals?

I prefer my coffee black, but not because I think milk or the various milk alternatives or a little sweetener/sugar within one's goals are unhealthy? I just am not sure what you are concerned about.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it doesn't do much nutritionally but if it fits in your calorie allotment, it's fine
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Doh! I missed where you were getting a "decaf" latte. OP, what exactly about the latte are you thinking would be unhealthy?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    dodea48 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    At the root of this is the assumption that foods have some inherent good or bad quality they impart onto you once ingested.

Rid yourself of this baseless assumption.

never heard of nutrition????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_MDCH-W2WU
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member

Are you personally noticing any negative effects?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I'd get really sick of lattes (decaf or otherwise) drinking them that frequently. I don't think it's bad for you, in the fuller picture of a balanced diet, and probably not super high calorie since it is basically decaf coffee with a small amount of milk (or milk alternatives) in it.

Unsolicited comment, I know, but I'd be more concerned about spending roughly $1,000 per year on Starbucks (assuming they're about three dollars per day). For me that's an extra mortgage payment.

well, that might be true enough, but to each his own, I'd think. We all of us have things that we spend money on that seem to be frivolous to others, but if it brings us a bit of comfort or enjoyment, why should it be denigrated? Isn't the point of money to aid us in bringing peace, health, and enjoyment to our lives?

If I had written "YOU should NOT spend three dollars a day on coffee! You idiot" then I would see where you are coming from.