What your taste buds get used to

There was a time, the thought of eating plain Greek yogurt straight would have left a bad taste in my mouth. Today I caught myself licking it off the spoon I used to put some in my lunch.

What's your food like that?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    As we mature, our taste buds develop. You're more willing to try new foods. I've also found that since I started eating pescatarian, my taste buds have changed dramatically. I lean much more towards foods like fish and produce. I no longer eat candy and just don't want it.

My food that I wouldn't eat previously was beets. I've tried red beets before and was disgusted. It was like chewing on blood clots. 😝

I buy two new foods every time I go grocery shopping. I decided to try gold beets. I love them! Plus, they're beautiful on the inside.

Still won't eat kale.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    There was a time, the thought of eating plain Greek yogurt straight would have left a bad taste in my mouth. Today I caught myself licking it off the spoon I used to put some in my lunch.

What's your food like that?

I like greek yogurt for the protein but I have to doctor it up and, even then, it leaves this filmy taste on my teeth.

But, apparently, bananas! :)
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I'm starting to like cauliflower. It is something I have tried on and off my whole life but never like until this year.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited September 2019
    I do believe in "acquired tastes".
    For me, coffee was a big one. A few years ago, I couldn't stand it.
    Now, I can't function without it.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    As we mature, our taste buds develop. You're more willing to try new foods. I've also found that since I started eating pescatarian, my taste buds have changed dramatically. I lean much more towards foods like fish and produce. I no longer eat candy and just don't want it.

My food that I wouldn't eat previously was beets. I've tried red beets before and was disgusted. It was like chewing on blood clots. 😝

I buy two new foods every time I go grocery shopping. I decided to try gold beets. I love them! Plus, they're beautiful on the inside.

Still won't eat kale.

Oh my, those visuals are truly to behold. Thanks @LyndaBSS ! Haha

For me it was avocados, wasn't keen at all. Now I love them! To be fair though, my very first one was probably not even ripe.
  • Bjane01
    Bjane01 Posts: 23 Member
    I got off soda a year ago (kidney stone and doctor recommended it). I can not stand the taste of it anymore. It is heavy and you can taste the sugar. Yuck! I used to think salad's were bland. Now I LOVE them. I am eating cherry tomatoes from my garden with red onions right now and I am loving it very much. I used not not like water so much but now I drink it every day.
  • Bjane01
    Bjane01 Posts: 23 Member
    Also, I can not eat a fast meal anymore. If you put a hamburger and fries in front of me I could only eat half if that and I'd feel sick.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I acquired a taste for cilantro. (I don't have the gene that makes it taste like soap.)

Much to my mother's consternation, I've lost my taste for brown rice.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    As we mature, our taste buds develop.

Yeah, this. So my foods like that are mainly very spicy ones, that I now love, but found intolerable back when I was a child. I also love and crave many vegetables that I found merely tolerable as a kid. Part of the latter is that I cook them better than my mom did, but mostly it's the palate changing with age and experience. I also love olives and I think as a kid I thought they were weird and icky. When I first started drinking coffee in college I loved the smell but found the taste disappointing unless it was half milk, and now I love it black. I hated beer when I first tried it (granted it was horrible beer) and grew to enjoy it, as well as wine, which I'm sure I would have disliked too, but I don't drink anymore so that's not the best example.

I haven't found that my palate has changed since losing weight, but I ate a mostly homecooked diet with lots of veg and some fruit even then. Plain greek yogurt has always tasted good to me (don't think I had greek as a kid, but plain yogurt was tasty to me then). Sometimes it's just getting rid of preconceptions.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited September 2019
    earlnabby wrote: »
    You can also retrain your taste buds. Go a few weeks without adding salt to foods and you will find you prefer your foods less salty. Same thing with sweets, go a while without eating something sweet and foods you used to love will taste too sweet to you.

I notice things that are too salty now. Sweets, I only wish that would happen. I don’t think it’s possible. Ice water is my drink of choice now. Still like a diet pop now and then, but water and pop have changed places in preference for beverages. Still dislike quinoa, tomatoes, mushrooms, kale and zucchini.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    There are many things I didn’t like as a child or when I was younger that I like or even love now including:

Avocado
    Mushrooms
    Kombucha
    Eggs
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Curry, unbuttered anything, sardines, plain vegetables and salads. I have really odd aste buds from eating the way I have. For example fish oil and Green Magma barley grass-

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    You can also retrain your taste buds. Go a few weeks without adding salt to foods and you will find you prefer your foods less salty. Same thing with sweets, go a while without eating something sweet and foods you used to love will taste too sweet to you.

Yes, I used to eat a lot of Peppermint Patties and now find them too sweet.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, I used to eat a lot of Peppermint Patties and now find them too sweet.

I can't eat a chocolate bar, no matter how good the chocolate is. Too much sweetness. I also find oranges too sweet so I mostly eat grapefruit when I want something citrus. I peel and eat them just like you would an orange.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I consider myself one of those people who started eating much healthier but still really likes all the junk food, fast food, etc, on the occasions I do indulge!

Some things are still awesome to me - burgers in general, pepperoni pizza, chocolate, cream gravy on chicken fried steak...
    But there are plenty I no longer have much interest or "taste for" fries, nuggets, snack cakes (such as Hostess or Little Debbie), or most cake, cobbler, muffins...so many desserts I'm just not that into now, but give me some rhubarb pie or dark chocolate and I still love it just as much as ever.

Some of the healthier stuff I've really started to love:
    Black coffee
    Eggs are now a TOP favorite food whereas in the past they were just ok
    Most vegetables - but notably radishes, carrots, snap peas, cauliflower and broccoli. I've always liked broccoli but now I MUST have it several times per week.