Any VEGANS on here, help me out?!!!

I typically have a fast working metabolism on top of my everyday life being pretty active, I don’t have too strict of a diet but I stay away from dairy, eggs, and red meat because they all make me really sick! Anyway, any tips on here for good protein packed foods that aren’t what I listed above?

Replies

• jenna_1381
    jenna_1381 Posts: 5 Member
    I need to gain weight/muscle!!!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    soy comes to mind first. i eat a lot of trader joe's high protein tofu and also edamame pasta. there are lots of ways to prepare them for variety. there's some protein in quinoa, a variety of beans and legumes including chickpeas and lentils.
  • ZakariyaRyu
    ZakariyaRyu Posts: 6 Member
    soy comes to mind first. i eat a lot of trader joe's high protein tofu and also edamame pasta.

Soy is destructive to the body in excessive quantaties so that's a no go.

I'd recommend dried mushrooms. You'd be surprised at how high the protein content per serving is. PBfit and rice protein powder are also good options, and their amino acid profiles compliment eachother.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    jenna_1381 wrote: »
    I need to gain weight/muscle!!!

Meat replacements such as beyond burger, fieldburger, impossible burger, etc are good sources of non-meat protein as well as pretty high in calories due to fat content as well. A 3.5oz fieldburger has 25g of protein and 290 calories.

You should have a good protein intake if you are looking to bud muscle but you also need an overall calorie surplus to gain weight and once you hit your protein goal it can come from anywhere. So those have a good one-two punch.
  • ZakariyaRyu
    ZakariyaRyu Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2019

Can you link to a study? I’ve never heard this and I’d like to see some evidence.

I seem to have gotten my information confused. It's soy proteins that you want to avoid due to additives in them. My bad!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Along with the calories surplus, you will need to strength train. What are your stats and goals?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2019

Can you link to a study? I’ve never heard this and I’d like to see some evidence.

I seem to have gotten my information confused. It's soy proteins that you want to avoid due to additives in them. My bad!

There is no evidence to support that. Soy is perfectly healthy and a great source of protein. Considering it has some of the highest impact on muscle protein synthesis, it would be a better choice if one is looking to gain muscle.

OP, a good lifting program should be on your top list of things for building muscle. Also, adequate protein, particularly proteins that have high luecine contents. If you consume fish, that should be consumed regularly.
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    edited September 2019
    I typically have a fast working metabolism on top of my everyday life being pretty active, I don’t have too strict of a diet but I stay away from dairy, eggs, and red meat because they all make me really sick! Anyway, any tips on here for good protein packed foods that aren’t what I listed above?

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/22553/lifestyle-diets/vegan/high-protein/

A lil distracted here, sorry. None of these recipes are for me, so if anyone has more high protein veggies stuff...
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Not vegan here. I understand that lentils and soybeans, and products made from them, are high in protein. There's also seitan which I think is a wheat protein, but some people are sensitive to wheat; if you have other food sensitivities you should probably be careful about trying foods where sensitivities are common.

I recently looked up some recipes for making home-made tofu, because our local (small-scale hand-made) tofu factory closed. If you've never had fresh tofu, you don't know what you're missing, I highly recommend it. Consider finding a local source for tofu or making it yourself; store bought stuff is to fresh tofu as American cheese is to cheddar.
  • jenna_1381
    jenna_1381 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you, I will definitely try that I love homemade stuff!
  • carey1986
    carey1986 Posts: 17 Member
    I love seitan. Its a bit long to cook. But u can batch cook it and freeze it.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    i also am looking for high protein, low fat, low carb snacks to include into my life
  • JMHoran86
    JMHoran86 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm a vegan figure bodybuilder, and good news! There's tons of protein packed plant based options that you can make yourself or even purchase at common grocery stores! The demand has been steadily increasing and so have the products on the shelves, which makes life a little easier! Depending on what stage if training I am at. I prefer to stick to whole foods over store bought mock meats, but beyond burger, field roast, sweet earth and even simple truth organic all have some pretty tasty and protein packed foods on the shelves that are easy to grab and make in minutes. When calories and macros really matter in my training periods, I will make seitan from scratch, which is actually quite easy; my favorite Easy Seitan recipe can be found on YouTube by Fit Vegan Chef (also on instagram). She also has a really easy Soy Curls recipe that is jerky-like. And if I have a sweet tooth, she is my go to for macro friendly and protein dense home made foods. Another good vegan to follow is The Sculpted Vegan on YouTube or Instagram. Hope all or some of you can find some help in any of this!
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member

Hello, vegan here! I eat a lot of tempeh, tofu and edamame. I also often have a vegan protein smoothie with soy milk and frozen banana in the morning. It took me a while to find one I like but I enjoy it now. I also like quinoa, chick peas and lentils (put lentils are my favourite!). I don't eat many beans, mostly because I'm not organized enough to soak and cook them. All delicious!
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    soy comes to mind first. i eat a lot of trader joe's high protein tofu and also edamame pasta. there are lots of ways to prepare them for variety. there's some protein in quinoa, a variety of beans and legumes including chickpeas and lentils.

OMG edamame pasta?! Yum!
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Check out Torre Washington's website, he is vegan bodybuilding champion with meal plans, recipes etc available.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Check out Torre Washington's website, he is vegan bodybuilding champion with meal plans, recipes etc available.

I love Torre Washington! He also has a YouTube channel.