First Half Marathon

8 weeks in to a 20 week half marathon training. Any runners out there that can provide helpful hints on nutrition? Any other helpful hints/feedback is welcome!

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I dont particularly do too much different in the lead up to a half.
    I maybe try and eat more home cooked, nutrient dense food starting 2 weeks before (I have a race prep meal plan given to me by my trainer). I generally eat fairly low carb higher protein for the first week, with lots of vegetables (I'm vegetarian). Then during the week leading up to the race I gradually up my carbs.
    The night before I eat quite a high carb dinner, usually pasta, but some of my best races have been fuelled by pizza. Then on the morning I have overnight oats, with berries, nuts and honey for breakfast and then a banana in the 30min before the race starts.

I dont tend to take on any extra fuel while running for anything under 16miles, and even in a full marathon I only have a couple bites of a nakd bar. But that's how I've trained.

Personally unless you are going to take 3.5hrs plus, I really wouldnt bother with food for a half. Depending on how hot it is you will want water, it's a good idea to learn how to drink from a cup while running (first time I tried I almost choked myself) and what I usually do is drink a couple mouthfuls and then tip the rest down the back of my neck.
    Oh and take extra care to look where you're going for around half mile after the water station, people do just throw their empty (and sometimes not empty) cups and bottles on the floor.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I take in more carbs the night before long runs, keep hydrated (Body Armour is the best), and if it's hot, my Nathan running vest goes along...half water/half Body Armour. There are also jelly bellys and ibuprofen in my running vest. If the aid stations have Coke, it's a great boost!

Pizza is my night before race meal.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Continue a healthy diet and enjoy the trip. I didn't find the need to change anything but to stay with a healthy diet. I did use Gu gels during my long runs and the race, but am not completely sure it was necessary. Didn't hurt, though.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    I'm training for my first half in March :) One thing I've started doing is taking a couple of these honey packs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JHLBEES/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1) for mid-run fuel. I like them much more than the artificially-flavored gels and goos.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    8 weeks in to a 20 week half marathon training. Any runners out there that can provide helpful hints on nutrition? Any other helpful hints/feedback is welcome!

You don't have to make major changes to run a half marathon. Just be sure to eat back the calories you burn or your performance will suffer (as well as your energy levels). If you want you can use gels during your longer runs but they are not 100% necessary (if it takes you more than 2 hours they can be helpful). I typically run 12-15 mile training runs with nothing but water (usually fasted).

Good luck.