Favorite low calorie foods that are high in sodium.

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    People mentioned my favorites already -- olives, pickles, and cottage cheese -- but also just salt your food. Adding salt when cooking improves flavor anyway (you don't need much, but you might want more). I also enjoy some raw veg/fruit with salt -- kohlrabi, radishes, celery, cucumbers, maybe tomatoes, avocado.

Popcorn airpopped and then spray with just a little olive oil (to keep cals down) and then salted.

Cheese and salted nuts aren't low cal, but they are delicious!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Asian sauces are the answer. Soy sauce is just a start, though an excellent one, with 900 mg of sodium per tablespoon. Fish sauce (which is mostly anchovy based) has 1400 mg per tbsp, which is over 50 % more sodium than soy, and is used extensively in Vietnamese, Thai, and related ethnic dishes which are easy to make at home and delicious, such as Vietnamese meatballs or pad se ew beef/chicken/shrimp. Another condiment to consider is Oyster sauce, which has 500 mg sodium per tbsp and is very common in familiar Chinese food -- there are several brands that are much higher in sodium than that 500 mg figure. If you eat Chinese food at all and like it, you already are familiar with the taste of Oyster sauce and like it.

I am an avid wok/Asian cooking enthusiast who also happens to do all the math each time, and can tell you from personal experience you can easily hit 3,000-4,000 sodium for one serving of food if that's what you want to do. A typical Chinese or Thai stir fry can handle 2 tbsp soy, 1 tbsp Oyster, and a dash of Fish before it even starts to taste "salty", and in fact would taste a little bland with that mix, because people are used to more like 3 tbsp soy, 1 tbsp oyster, and hoisin sauce, which also has salt. Plus, you can add a few tsp of salt to a meat marinade before you even get to the sauces.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Sushi and canned soups are usually low in calories but high in sodium, and so are most of the chicken, vegetable or beef stocks or broths, like Swanson. V8 vegetable juice and meat tenderizers, even the unseasoned one.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I have dysautonomia and need to increase my sodium intake to 5,000 to 7,000 mg a day. I am able to take some salt tablets to help, but they can be hard on the stomach and to get that much sodium I will have to take a ton of the tablets. My goal is to find some foods or drinks that are tasty and not too high in calorie, while also providing some sodium.

I am trying to consume two powerade zeros a day, they provide 250 mg per bottle. But with those added, I am still only averaging around 2000 mg of sodium a day. I don't love the taste of salt, and the things I do like (chips, popcorn, etc) are all high in calories and junk food, which I would like to avoid. Also, I will eat meat occasionally, but mostly eat vegetarian.

I am hopeful some of you might have some suggestions of things you like they pack a punch of sodium.

Thanks!

I also have sodium deficiency and have been for few years. They call mine Hypernutrimia. I am constantly thirsty but have to be mindful because my body gets rid of sodium rapidly. There is something called Sole water. There are recipes on line. Its Himilayan salt diffused in water. Vitamin Shoppe sells something called Trace minerals, they are drops for water that help. Putting electrolytes without sugar in water for throughout the day too.
    Nutritionally it may help to eat seaweed, sea greens, celery and if you eat fish, anchovies may help.
    Steer clear of duretics, fluid loss and excess sweating. Being in a dry climate or hot weather can take sodium out too.
    I had to be hospitalised on IV twice for sodium depletion. The first time was a whole week, my heart almost stopped! I had been on 2 medications then a diuretic. The doctor and I did not know about chronic low sodium deficiency.
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Canned soups. I just had a can of condensed chicken noodle soup for lunch, 150 cals and 2225 mg of sodium.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Mcwi3681 wrote: »
    Canned soups. I just had a can of condensed chicken noodle soup for lunch, 150 cals and 2225 mg of sodium.

what the ....

just out of curiosity, which soup was that?
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Mcwi3681 wrote: »

what the ....

just out of curiosity, which soup was that?

Food Club brand (Piggly Wiggly store brand). I normally don't touch the stuff with a 10-foot pole but I'm not feeling well today and it was the only thing that sounded good.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Progresso soups are about 900 mg of sodium per serving (the low sodium ones are 1/2 of that), But 2225 mg of sodium is really a lot for people that don't need to keep the sodium update higher.

Note to self: don't buy that brand!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    soy sauce tastes great on so many things, and as others have said, is high in sodium.
    grace173 wrote: »
    Would you believe Tofu is high in sodium. Just found this out now entering it into my food diary.

it's only high in sodium if other ingredients have been added, as they often are in baked tofu. if yours was plain tofu, you might want to find a more accurate listing in the database.
    Would you believe Tofu is high in sodium. Just found this out now entering it into my food diary.

I had no idea, but I love tofu! So this is great!

here's the nutrition info for my favorite tofu
    https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/4698
    15 mg sodium, so very low.
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    V8 or vegetable juice
    Celery naturally has sodium
    Broths/soups can be made salty
    Buffalo sauce/hot sauce has crazy high sodium like 400mg per serving and like no calories
    Soy sauce
    Cottage cheese salty and great protein
    Tajín is a Chile powder/salt seasoning that goes good on fruits and vegetables (cucumbers are good this way, especially w lime juice)
    Salted nuts aren’t low calorie but a good snack choice and for whatever reason always seem to help me a lot vs chips or something, for whatever reason a handful of nuts+a Gatorade is my go to
    Dip/soup mixes (ranch etc) can be added to a lot of recipes for flavor and are usually high sodium
    Multiple spice blends that use salt can go together and the extra spices kind of override the saltiness a little bit

Also, salt everything—I never used to like salt on foods and never salted things outside of a recipe/meat like vegetables, salads, sandwiches. But you can always add a bit of salt and pepper to everything
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Asian sauces are the answer. Soy sauce is just a start, though an excellent one, with 900 mg of sodium per tablespoon. Fish sauce (which is mostly anchovy based) has 1400 mg per tbsp, which is over 50 % more sodium than soy, and is used extensively in Vietnamese, Thai, and related ethnic dishes which are easy to make at home and delicious, such as Vietnamese meatballs or pad se ew beef/chicken/shrimp. Another condiment to consider is Oyster sauce, which has 500 mg sodium per tbsp and is very common in familiar Chinese food -- there are several brands that are much higher in sodium than that 500 mg figure. If you eat Chinese food at all and like it, you already are familiar with the taste of Oyster sauce and like it.

I am an avid wok/Asian cooking enthusiast who also happens to do all the math each time, and can tell you from personal experience you can easily hit 3,000-4,000 sodium for one serving of food if that's what you want to do. A typical Chinese or Thai stir fry can handle 2 tbsp soy, 1 tbsp Oyster, and a dash of Fish before it even starts to taste "salty", and in fact would taste a little bland with that mix, because people are used to more like 3 tbsp soy, 1 tbsp oyster, and hoisin sauce, which also has salt. Plus, you can add a few tsp of salt to a meat marinade before you even get to the sauces.

You beat me to it!

The pad se ew recipe in this cookbook does indeed have soy sauce, fish sauce, AND oyster sauce: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/4889960945/

I made a "lower sodium" version Tuesday and it was 2,287 mg of sodium for 461 calories.

As a general rule for this cookbook, I double the protein and the sauces, but to stay low cal, make as written.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I have dysautonomia and need to increase my sodium intake to 5,000 to 7,000 mg a day. I am able to take some salt tablets to help, but they can be hard on the stomach and to get that much sodium I will have to take a ton of the tablets. My goal is to find some foods or drinks that are tasty and not too high in calorie, while also providing some sodium.

I am trying to consume two powerade zeros a day, they provide 250 mg per bottle. But with those added, I am still only averaging around 2000 mg of sodium a day. I don't love the taste of salt, and the things I do like (chips, popcorn, etc) are all high in calories and junk food, which I would like to avoid. Also, I will eat meat occasionally, but mostly eat vegetarian.

I am hopeful some of you might have some suggestions of things you like they pack a punch of sodium.

Thanks!

Have you tried something like Light Grey Celtic coarse sea salt? I can eat it straight!

https://smile.amazon.com/Light-Grey-Celtic-coarse-salt/dp/B01EX4UOWM/

51xDUdNp39L.jpg
  • scottyaus2732
    scottyaus2732 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Shellfish

Some green veggies like silver beet calked something else in other parts of the world.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

That's going to very much depend on how it was processed, added flavors, etc. Most plain tofu is not going to be high in sodium at all -- the opposite, in fact. Are you talking about salted fermented tofu?

Miso would be a good choice.

Most canned vegetable juice (like V8) that isn't labeled low sodium packs 300 to 400 mg sodium for well under 50 calories.

ETA: finished the thread. Count on MFP to be full of people who know plain tofu is low sodium. :)
  • sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Pickles❤️ In fact if they didn’t pack so much sodium I’d eat them more often.