Question on losing fat or weight with a pear shape body. For all Pear Shape bodies

Options
Gl4ever
Gl4ever Posts: 36 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Im 5ft 11 210lbs i have a 34inch waist, 27inch thighs and 44 inch hips. My body fat is about 25%-30%. Even though i am a male someone told me i have characteristics of the pear shape body. So i was wondering as I lose weight and try to attain a 30inch waist with fat lose. Will my hips and thighs go down by about 4 inches and stay proportional to my waist? I will hate to have a small waist but still large hips as a male. Or will my hips and thighs lose inches faster than my waist and making my body look a little more balance?

The top of my body looks a lot skinner than my lower half and it makes me look 10lbs lighter despite my body fat percentage and I store fat mostly in my hips and thighs. My butt is just wide but flat and everything else for my body has less fat that might me look skinny.

Replies

• poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    As a pear-shaped female, I will say that I have always lost weight from all areas of my body, so my proportions don't change (or very minimally change). Honestly, the places that are already smaller tend to show losses faster (like my already smaller waist). BUT, that's my experience being a female, my genetics, etc. Genetics are a strange piece to deal with... I think they play a bigger role than we often imagine. In short, I think it would be difficult for anyone to guess what will happen as your body loses weight, but I would do your best not to worry too much about it. Focus on doing good things for your body and the rest will be what it will be. It's easy to get caught up in "what-if's" but try not to let it overwhelm you.
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do find that I lose weight from my upper body at first, so there's a few weeks where it feels like the difference between my upper and lower body is more obvious, but then it starts to balance out. Patience is key here because thigh/hip fat is stubborn.

Strength training is absolutely your friend. A calorie deficit will lead the fat loss but strength training can help you to balance out your upper and lower body. Building a bit of definition in your shoulders and back helps to create more balanced proportions. Squats will help you round out your butt a bit if you're not happy with the shape. The big thing is to stick with it - be consistent with your deficit and strength training, and over time you will see improvements.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    your body loses weight where it wants to lose. a healthier you is the goal and outcome, regardless.

ive never heard of males being referred to as body shapes like women are, but maybe they are. But again, its a moot point as it will come off where it wants to come off.

for me, i tend to lose from my upper body (which tends to be smaller to begin with) before any other place. lower body is always stubborn and takes longer.

During and after weight loss, you can focus on building muscle where you want, to 'even out' your natural shape and give more definition to any areas you feel need it. if your lower body is disproportionately larger, work on building upper body mass (muscle)
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm a female who's pear shaped and during my weight loss phase I lost top to bottom, with my hip/bum area being the last to slim down and I had to get to a fairly lean weight for that to happen as well. I'm currently 120lbs-122lbs now and my waist is 26 inches at the belly button and hips are 33 inches at the top of my hip bones. I'm 5ft, 6in and I've also had 3 children so that's probably a factor in things as well for me.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have to echo what the others have said. Some male body types are more bottom heavy than others - Germans and Finns tend to this type of shape, for example. If you are worried about getting a wasp waist you can concentrate heavily on developing abs and obliques to bulk out the waist area.

Good luck with the journey.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My hubby has the pear shaped body syndrome, and when he goes on a loss program, his belly goes down first. BUT... his belly is what is pushing up his hip dimensions, so he doesn't get a tiny waist like a woman does, his hips AND waist go down together. Genetics can have a lot to do with it... are the men in your family prone to small waists? If not, then you probably don't have to worry about it too much. And if your hip numbers are caused by a weighty back end, you should lose weight over your entire body, not just the waist, so again, you shouldn't need to worry. But regardless of how you lose it, weigh carried in the belly area isn't good, so any loss is a healthy gain! ;-) Best wishes with your program.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I always had pear shaped body, with large hips. After losing weight, i couldn't be happier, tbh. My shoulders are wider than my hips, i look slim and fit. My thighs are still muscular, just not as lean as i would like, because i, too, believe that it's probably harder to lose weight there, but i get so many compliments regardless. I went down from wearing size 20 (42 in mens sizes) to 4-6 in women's ( 28-29 jeans) depending on brand. I wouldn't call myself pear shaped anymore. I'm a female, 5'7" and lost over 75 lbs.