How long to lose the water weight from starting strength training?

Options
I've been using the resistance machines at the gym (on top of my usual swimming) for the past couple of weeks, and for the first time my weight loss has stalled (less than half a pound in the last week, compared to my usual 2-3lb). Is this water weight, or am I just in my first plateau? I'm only very much a beginner, working with low weights, though I do feel my muscles for a couple of days after each workout (twice a week), so I must be doing something! My calories msy have gone up by 50 a day on average this past week, but I wouldn't expect that to make such an impact as this. Would love to know how long you plateaued when you starting resistance / weight training. Can I expect a whoosh in a few weeks, or is that just wishful thinking? Thanks!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I find water weight usually goes in about 3 days.
  • SuperSetsRound2
    SuperSetsRound2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think I would want to know what your starting weight was as depending on how much you had/have to lose can affect how much you should expect to lose. Sometimes your body’s weight loss will fluctuate based on lack of sleep, changes in your body etc. i would look at adding a few more days of lifting and change part of your routine in case this is a plateau
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I find water weight usually goes in about 3 days.

Thank you!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far. Have you factored in a reduced BMR due to it? If you haven't adjusted, and are eating 50cal per day more then that could well be influencing the scales. I do weights regularly and typically I get a weight spike of a pound or so a couple of days before a loss of between two and three.

A regular loss of two to three pounds a week is a lot and you should expect that to slow down anyway. You're not that far off the healthy range of BMI.
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    Congrats on the weight loss so far. Have you factored in a reduced BMR due to it? If you haven't adjusted, and are eating 50cal per day more then that could well be influencing the scales. I do weights regularly and typically I get a weight spike of a pound or so a couple of days before a loss of between two and three.

A regular loss of two to three pounds a week is a lot and you should expect that to slow down anyway. You're not that far off the healthy range of BMI.

Oh, that's interesting, thank you. I thought MFP adjusted your calorie deficit when you input your "new" weight? (I change it every time the scale moves). But yes, I probably am being greedy wanting the plummeting to continue :) I'm only 2lb off the very top of my healthy weight range, but I'm still at 36% body fat, and I know from experience I don't start to look slim until I'm closer to 10st than 11, so a way to go yet. Must be patient! Thanks very much for replying.
  • SuperSetsRound2
    SuperSetsRound2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! That’s awesome that you have lost 15lbs in a month+! Congrats! I have found that it really helps burn more calories and drop body fat % by lifting weights. My 2 cents would be to lift more and keep swimming. At your next plateau you could add in doing the stair master and change your lift routine. Good luck and keep it up 🤙🏼
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    When first starting a new lifting program, it seems many report it taking 4-6 weeks to drop that initial water retention. I can't remember exactly how long mine took anymore, but it was somewhere in that 4-6 week range. It was frustrating, but I was confident in my logging, so I just continued pushing through it. Then I suddenly dropped a bunch over a week.
  • hermesandcoco
    hermesandcoco Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m in week 2 of starting a lifting program. My weight bumped up 1.4lbs last week and is holding steady. I’ve been consistently loosing 0.5-1.0lbs a week until now. Didn’t change my calories. I’m quite sore so I’m sure it’s just all water weight in the muscles... but eagerly awaiting the big woosh to start loosing again! 😁
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies and support! The scales took a mini dive again this week :)