Karate or Martial Arts

Hi MFP!
I practice kyokushin karate twice a week and we aren’t allowed to wear fitness bands like Fitbit or Apple Watch.

Any advice on how I can accurately track my workouts? Some days we are full conditioning for the entire hour. It’s like we never stop moving. Other days it’s is more isometrics and practicing kata. Somedays it’s a mix.

Friends welcome! I’d love to have more martial arts friends on my feed!

(Also I am only three months in and I am still a white belt. I’m not sure when I get to test or stripe. I’m still perfecting my first kata.)

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Maybe consider a chest strap monitor?
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Kyokushin is some tough stuff, have fun and condition your body to be hard, don't worry about the monitor, don't use a chest strap and guess on the calories. Do a hard workout and you'll burn enough calories to contribute to your goals.
  • KnitsWhoSayNee
    KnitsWhoSayNee Posts: 8 Member
    Kyokushin is some tough stuff, have fun and condition your body to be hard, don't worry about the monitor, don't use a chest strap and guess on the calories. Do a hard workout and you'll burn enough calories to contribute to your goals.

I just worry I’m not eating enough to fuel my body. Some days are intense so it’s why I’m wanting to accurately track the workout.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Hi! I’ve been doing Krav Maga for about 6 months now. I love it! I’m not sure if this reference is helpful at all, but my Fitbit says I burn 200 calories on the lower end (more technical classes) and 300 on the upper end (conditioning classes) with all classes 60 minutes. I’m 41F, 5’5, 128 pounds.
  • KnitsWhoSayNee
    KnitsWhoSayNee Posts: 8 Member
    jnomadica wrote: »
    Hi! I’ve been doing Krav Maga for about 6 months now. I love it! I’m not sure if this reference is helpful at all, but my Fitbit says I burn 200 calories on the lower end (more technical classes) and 300 on the upper end (conditioning classes) with all classes 60 minutes. I’m 41F, 5’5, 128 pounds.

That’s very helpful! I’m 5’8’’ and much more on weight but that’s a good baseline. The place I got for kyokushin also teaches krav so I’ll keep this in mind when I’m tracking it!

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I also do Krav Maga, and not being able to track is one of the reasons I've decided to go the TDEE method of developing a calorie goal, which is where my exercise level is already built into my daily goal from a TDEE calculator Obviously there is some margin of error for that, but I have found it to be largely successful.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I do boxing, age 50, 5'10" and weigh 178 lb. A 45 minute session comprising 15 mins total of warm up/cool down plus 30 mins of very intense punching with minimal rest gives me a calorie estimate of about 550. I use a Myzone chest strap monitor, which is apparently one of the more accurate ones on the market.