Something interesting about yourself

In an effort to get to know each other, tell me something interesting about yourself! I will start:

I am an ordained minister (in addition to a bank manager) and I have officiated almost 200 weddings!

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    That is a tough one to top...I have been to Europe ten times. I run a trip through the high school I am a vice principal at.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I'm a stepdaughter and a stepmother. 🌷
  • kristenmary70
    kristenmary70 Posts: 55 Member
    @LyndaBSS , ME TOO!!!
  • kristenmary70
    @riffraff2112 , What countries in Europe did you visit? Which one is your favorite and why?
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    I’ve never been out of my country as I’m terrified at the thought of flying. Maybe one day 💭
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I'll play.

I've lived in 2 countries, 11 states, 21 cities, the District of Columbia and 1 tribal land.
  • kristenmary70
    @o0kody0o have you traveled within the USA? If so, where have you gone? If not, where would you like to go?
  • kristenmary70
    @lalalacroix so interesting!!! What took you to all of those places?
  • o0kody0o
    edited September 2019
    @o0kody0o have you traveled within the USA? If so, where have you gone? If not, where would you like to go?

Hi @kristenmary70

I live in the UK (Scotland) and the furthest I have been is England (UK). I’d just like to be able to go on holiday to somewhere nice in Spain. I’ve watched too many documentaries about plane crashes that it’s given me a lot of anxiety about flying. I really hope I can overcome my fear 😊

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    @riffraff2112 , What countries in Europe did you visit? Which one is your favorite and why?

Italy is my fave. for many reasons. I love the food, weather, people, culture, history, art, architecture, variety of landscape (prairies to mountains to amazing lake regions). I can't think of any other country with so many well known sights...colosseum, vatican, spanish steps, Statue of David, trevi fountain, balcony of julliet, leaning tower of pisa, ruins of Pompeii, mt. etna,...kind of endless. I mean Venice alone would make the country one of my favourites, throw in Verona, Lake Como, Bologna, Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Naples, and how could I forget Milan!

The countries I have been to (mostly multiple times) Greece, Germany, Switzerland, England, France, Croatia, Malta, Montenegro, Norway, Austria,

I am currently planning a trip to Spain and probably a few surrounding countries.

About the only place I wasn't too fond of was Paris. Beautiful place but what they say about locals being rude was certainly my experience.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    o0kody0o wrote: »

Hi @kristenmary70

I live in the UK (Scotland) and the furthest I have been is England (UK). I’d just like to be able to go on holiday to somewhere nice in Spain. I’ve watched too many documentaries about plane crashes that it’s given me a lot of anxiety about flying. I really hope I can overcome my fear 😊

You can get an overnight boat from England to Northern Spain. A bit pricey....but worth saving for if you really want to see Spain.

Else, try taking a train to Paris as a first go or boat from Hull to Amsterdam is good value.

Alternatively, the likes of BA and Easyjet offer heavily subsidised courses for fearful flyers. Staff are alwys super understanding too and will help you if you let them know you are a nervous flyer. It’s a fear worth tackling because not being able to fly can really restrict your options.

I highly recommend traveling - anywhere that gives you a new perspective....doesn’t have to be “abroad”, but that’s the easiest way of guaranteeing a new experience.

• GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Something interesting about me: I like giving advice even when it hasn’t been requested. See above.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    I am color blind as is my son and my Dad. I also lost my sense of smell 3 years ago.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    o0kody0o wrote: »

Hi @kristenmary70

Eurostar - easy peasy, or take your car and go that way :)
  • o0kody0o
    @GrizzledSquirrel thank you for the info, it’s much appreciated!

@vivo1972 thanks to you too, I’ll definitely look into it

Here’s hoping I will get to see some beautiful new places in the near future 🌞
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    I had a pituitary tumor removed 4 years ago and it’s been back since 1 year after. Will need it removed again soon before it causes me to go blind.
  • kristenmary70
    I had a pituitary tumor removed 4 years ago and it’s been back since 1 year after. Will need it removed again soon before it causes me to go blind.

@SarahMorganP have you already sought medical treatment? I will pray for you!!
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    I love to learn other languages. I can speak (to varying degrees) French, Spanish, German, Greek and Korean.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    @lalalacroix so interesting!!! What took you to all of those places?

Well I was a military brat growing up and then as an adult I just get an itch to move somewhere about every 3 years. I'm in beautiful Colorado now and not sure that I'll ever want to leave. 🙂
  • I love to move to new places. When I was 20 I moved to Maine. 24 I moved to Texas. 29 Florida, after 24 years moved to Ohio. I stayed there 5 years and now I am in North Carolina.