How many calories burned?

This is the workout that I did today for one hour:

1. Arnold shoulder press- 10, 10, 10, 9 (1 min rest)
2. Renegade rows- 10, 10, 10, 10 (1 min rest)
3. Lateral shoulder raises- 10, 10, 10, 10 (1 min rest)
4. Tricep dips advanced- 10, 10, 10, 9 (1 min rest)
5. Elevated push ups- 10, 10, 10 (1 min rest)

I don’t have access to the gym so I do dumbell workouts along with calisthenics. I still try and lift heavy weights. My estimate for this workout was 350 calories burned? because I didn’t rest much and I focused on compound exercises and I challenged myself. I’m F, 26, 5’ 4” and 160 lbs. I have a good amount of muscle too.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Maybe 100 to 150?

Renegade rows are a great exercise! 🙂
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Maybe 100 to 150?

Yes they are 😁. I exercised for the hour and I kept my rest time short so my heart rate was elevated. Plus I did body weight/callisthenics too. I don’t do powerlifting. I feel like 150 is too low.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Maybe 100 to 150?

Yes they are 😁. I exercised for the hour and I kept my rest time short so my heart rate was elevated. Plus I did body weight/callisthenics too. I don’t do powerlifting. I feel like 150 is too low.

Sounds like circuit training to me - so you could log it as that to get a very rough estimate. (Personally I think it's a high estimate.)

Lifting "heavy weights" and minimising your rest periods can be antagonists and you need to make sure you are clear what your training goals are and if your training is actually in line with those goals.
    (If it's strength then what you are doing is a long way from optimal.)

I don't see an elevated HR as a training goal for weights, it's also a very poor indicator of calorie burns.

In the end you aren't going to get an estimate that you can verify as accurate outside of a sport science lab.
    Lucky that for the purposes of controlling your calorie balance you don't need accuracy, reasonable is perfectly OK.

If you believe it's 350 net cals for your hour's workout then go for it. No-one here was training with you and a basic HRM wouldn't be appropriate either before anyone suggests that as a method for guessing.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Yeah, if you go with 350 cal for those workouts, and you aren't losing weight over the next few weeks, you'll know why. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    It’s not as much as you think. Regardless of your perceived exertion, those exercises are in a low MET range and the intermittent nature of circuit workouts erodes the burn a little more. I’m not saying that workout does not have benefits, but it is not a big calorie burner.

The numbers involved are relatively small, so an error will not be that significant, but if you are more detailed about counting workout calories, I would not log any more than 200 for this workout.

A traditional, full body, heavier weight lifting workout burns about 330 calories per hour, so 350 for this one seems overstated.

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Okay thanks guys! I’ll go with 200 calories as that seems to be more reasonable.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    It's disappointing how few calories strength training burns. But it's so worth doing.