Running App with guidance

Options
Hi all, I am running a half marathon soon and I am aiming to finish it under 2h. Is there an app that could monitor the pace and guide when and if you need to speed up to finish the race under 2h?

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of questions that would apply here, so the more information you give, the more chance someone can help answer it properly.

Many running apps give current and average pace, and many also have audible announcements if you use them.

For people that don't run much, that's a fairly quick pace. For accomplished runners, it's not all that fast. Where you fall on the scale determines what might help you more. Obviously the quicker you are the less chance you have a hard time finishing within your time frame, which allows you more pace variation freedom. If that time is pushing it for you, you'd probably want/need something that helps you maintain a more steady pace and cadence.

I don't run all that much, and have never had a real steady pace. In my case music helps me maintain a more steady cadence, but then you have to find XX time music that works.

How much do you run, how quick, etc? I would think those basics are a major contributing factor to a best answer.
  • aurabu
    aurabu Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My last half was 2.15 .i usually run 5k in just over 25min. But I wanted an app which allows me to input my target time for a race and gives me updates throughout the race whether I need to go faster or maintain my pace in order to finish within my target.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Best option - negative split the race. Run the first half slower than the 2nd. If you don't have a running watch (highly recommended) try one of the apps for your phone. They all work about the same so pick one and learn how it works. I'm not sure any of them will tell you to slow down or speed up, but if you have a plan (run the first 7 miles at x pace and the last 6 at x) you can still know how you are doing.

Second best option - stick with the 2 hour pacer. Then you won't have to worry about tracking your pace and you will get your goal if you stay with him or her.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    How are you currently monitoring your pace while running?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    aurabu wrote: »
    My last half was 2.15 .i usually run 5k in just over 25min. But I wanted an app which allows me to input my target time for a race and gives me updates throughout the race whether I need to go faster or maintain my pace in order to finish within my target.

If you check, I think MapMyRun allows you to run to a target time. I know they had (haven't used it in a while) pace reminders that could be set closer than many apps, IIIRC down to 1/4 mile intervals. I used it some while trying to work on similar goals as you. I tend to fluctuate in my pace quite a bit, so every bit helps, especially with minimal running overall.

It sounds like you are already confident you are quick enough, so that's a big plus. If you do find the magic "pace pill", let us know. I'm sure I could shave time off a lot of runs if I could find it. :neutral:
  • aurabu
    Options
    How are you currently monitoring your pace while running?

With strava
  • aurabu
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    aurabu wrote: »

If you check, I think MapMyRun allows you to run to a target time. I know they had (haven't used it in a while) pace reminders that could be set closer than many apps, IIIRC down to 1/4 mile intervals. I used it some while trying to work on similar goals as you. I tend to fluctuate in my pace quite a bit, so every bit helps, especially with minimal running overall.

It sounds like you are already confident you are quick enough, so that's a big plus. If you do find the magic "pace pill", let us know. I'm sure I could shave time off a lot of runs if I could find it. :neutral:

I will check out that one and let you know