Supplements

Can anyone recommend some good supplements that will provide me as a meal replacement but with good amounts of protein in?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Why do you feel like you need a supplement to replace a meal rather than just eating a calorie appropriate meal based on your goals?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm not aware of any meal replacement supplements. There are meal replacement powders and shakes, but they tend to be expensive and/or not taste good, IMO.

I make smoothies with protein powder and add ingredients I like to get the taste, fat, and fiber I want.

This thread has lots of recipes for smoothies: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10728122/looking-for-smoothie-friends
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Protein powder.

MFP as a community generally frowns on supplements, so this is probably a question you'll get better answers for somewhere else. I'm not saying that to chase you away, you're very welcome here, just letting you know what to expect. The philosophy here is mostly that people should aim for calorie and macronutrient goals, and with experience most will find a balance that satisfies.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    why do you want to 'replace' meals?

food is good. and has higher nutritional content, in general, than any 'shake meal' can provide. those supplements can... SUPPLEMENT a diet that may be deficient in specific areas, but if you eat a varied and 'healthy' diet, it is typically unnecessary unless there is a medical condition that may require it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Can anyone recommend some good supplements that will provide me as a meal replacement but with good amounts of protein in?

You would look for anything that has "meal replacement" in the title. It could be a bar, shake, or powder that you mix in something. Quality and taste will vary. Stay away from anything that is MLM (like herbalife).

All meal replacements will have calories so then it becomes a question of a MR vs a ready to microwave low calorie meal if convenience is your primary goal.

I am not aware of protein supplements in a pill form. You would have to take MANY of them if they did exist so it would probably be prohibitively expensive. I am not sure what you mean by "good amounts" but if you are splitting your macros evenly among 3 meals it would likely need to be 40+ grams. As I recall the largest capsule holds 1 gram so that would be 40 or more pills.