Weight lifting book recommendations??

Does anyone have recommendations for a weight lifting book that is good for beginning women?? I haven’t incorporated weight lifting into my routine yet. I live in a small town, so we only have a small gym with limited equipment. I’m really looking for a book that will motivate me to get going!

Replies

• lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    edited September 2019
    I liked Strong: 9 workout programs for women...by Lou Schuler, Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews, Starting Strength by Mark Rippoe, Body for Life, by Bill Phillips (one of my first books, found the photos really helpful), Strong Curves, Brett Contreras. From a strictly motivational standpoint I liked Living With a Seal: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the planet. Funny and inspiring.
  • rnamy23
    rnamy23 Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks for the recommendations!! Very helpful
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    I also liked starting strength by Mark rippetoe, although I didn't read it as a beginner, but after I had been training for over a year
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • meggs9605
    meggs9605 Posts: 55 Member
    I have been doing Strong Curves by Bret Contreras for a little over a month and I LOVE it. You can download his workouts for free, but I would highly recommend getting the actual book. I think it was a less than $20 on Amazon.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Strong Curves is a good resource for beginners. The illustrated program can guide you through a variety of lifts and has pictorial alternatives. It is very easy to follow. You can learn a bit about nutrition as well as programming from this book.
  • Muscle and strength training and nutrition pyramids. 2 e books by Eric helms. Game changers for me. They have all the info you need to know. Possibly too much info if you are a total beginner to strength training but so worth the money if you intend to make strength training a life ling pursuit.
  • Also starting strength is good but very technical on the big 3 lifts . And unless you are a young male I would take the dietary advice with a grain of salt. By that I mean ignore it! There are much better resources out there for nutrition advice