40 and struggling to lose weight

Hi all.. I go to the gym 4 to 5 times a week. Eating the correct amount of calories is difficult. I am weak with the diet part. Need support.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

Good luck with your journey!
  • joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    Welcome! I sent you a friend request..I’m similar to you...love to receive and give support as I try to stick with this!
  • secno1
    secno1 Posts: 9 Member
    Don’t make it about weight make it about how you feel in clothes. Log all food and eat in bowls or small plates. If you log honestly you will see the issues. Add me for more if u need
  • MAnthonyEvans
    MAnthonyEvans Posts: 28 Member
    I am on board. I'm 42. I have fluctuated from 160- 208 since 1998. Since 2012 I have fluctuated between 160& 195. Now at 42 and 190, I need to get a better handle on things.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I think an important thing to remember with MFP, you can eat ANYTHING you want, but you need to limit quantity. If you can't limit quantity, you need to decide of that thing you want eat is worth it.

I'm almost 41, but I lost most of my access weight around 32 (50lbs loss). I've been on and off MFP and honestly, when I'm mentally "in the game", it's easy. It's when I've lost the weight and I'm happy and I think "ah, I'm skinny, I can do what I want" is when the fun ends. Most folks will tell you it's harder as you get older, but I found it hard at 32 and I still find it hard at 41. Sometimes goals are hard, and you just have to suck it up. Weight Loss is 90% diet, 10% exercise.

I'm back now to lose 10lbs of re-gain for a beach vacation in December. I know that 10lbs will take about 3 months so I started the day after Labor Day. Since then I've gone over my calorie limit 1 day, but most days I'm under by 200-300. I'm set for .5lbs a week and I'm adjusted to the fact that it's gonna take a bit.

I find the secret is to plan your day. Know when you get hungry. Have opinions. I typically eat light for breakfast/lunch and plan for a heavier dinner since that's the meal I share with my boyfriend. I know I like to snack and I leave calories for those. I know that at 8pm I like to have a bowl of cereal, so I plan that as well.

You can do this. It's 100% mental. Good luck!
  • dcheez
    dcheez Posts: 3 Member
    Diet is 90%. I agree. I can gain and lose weight at will once I learned how to master the food part. Add me if you wanna.