Intermittent fasting.

Replies

• CaitlinELaird
    CaitlinELaird Posts: 106 Member
    I have been doing it for awhile now so if you want someone to talk to, let me know. It isn’t awful or hard to follow, just make sure you stick within your calories and you will lose the weight. You’ve got this!
  • Taytaylynn92
    Taytaylynn92 Posts: 230 Member
    Thank you all for your inputs!!!
  • Togetherstronger
    Togetherstronger Posts: 45 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I’m going to begin intermittent fasting tomorrow. What are the best and worst parts about it. My eating period is probably going to be between 12-8. Any tips on this?
    I workout in the mornings before work and am hoping I’m not too hungry and fail at this!

There is no harm in trying. If it works...then great. If it doesn't then you haven't failed...it just didn't work so try something else. It is about you and not anyone else. Don't feel as if you can't adjust some of those rules that some unknown person says that you have to follow. Our WOE including the scheduling of when we eat should fit our lives and we should receive some benefits from those rules that we have set for ourselves.

At the end of the day however you choose to eat should move you toward those goals that you have set for yourself.

Hi Annie, thats some great advice. thanks for taking the time to reply
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Just go all out and do 1 meal a day. Eat all your food in a 2 hour window.

Why does it have to be all or nothing to work?
  • KatsMeow12
    KatsMeow12 Posts: 64 Member
    Just popping in (after doing a search on IF) to say that today was my first day fasting. I made it 21 hours. For the first time of trying it, I’m going to call that a success. (And I broke the fast with a handful of almonds and an apple. So not, like, Doritos.)
  • KatsMeow12
    KatsMeow12 Posts: 64 Member
    Hell, I was happy to just make it 18 hours!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @jhanleybrown, thanks for sharing your introductory experience which mirrors what those of us who practice IF know convincingly. Wishing you the best in your fitness, health and wellness journey. Keep marching forward!

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I did one day of time based IF (so did not change calorie goals but stopped eating from 3 pm to 7 am).

Probably coincidence but busted through weigh in plateau for first time in two weeks this week????

Also feel like it's helping me with subsequent dinner portion control. ("If I can fast at night, I can get by not over eating at dinner.")

Think I'm going to do this once/week/month but just depending on schedule as we Ike to have family dinners.

But I'm convinced there is something to this beyond calorie counting.

I go through 2 weeks of "plateaus" all the time skipping breakfast and lately skipping dinner. When you change your eating schedule you can change your bathroom schedule which is the real cause of sluggish scale results. So not coincidence but not a fat burning secret.

If you are in a calorie deficit this is the real cause of a "plateau":

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

I never actually plateau. My weight loss is just masked for short periods of time on the bathroom scale. Eventually (often after 3 weeks) I visit the restroom more often for 3 or so days and I have a big drop in weight that represents all that I should have lost but did not see on the scale.

If there is more to it they can't find it in humans other than the benefit for people with insulin resistance.

Keep in mind that a few years ago there was supposedly a huge benefit in eating more often not less often.

For some people this still works. I never did for me. I spent too much time thinking about the next little meal that I would get to eat. I just needed more food than that at one time to satisfy my hunger.

I think it is very interesting that what works well for one is a disaster for another.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I did one day of time based IF (so did not change calorie goals but stopped eating from 3 pm to 7 am).

Probably coincidence but busted through weigh in plateau for first time in two weeks this week????

Also feel like it's helping me with subsequent dinner portion control. ("If I can fast at night, I can get by not over eating at dinner.")

Think I'm going to do this once/week/month but just depending on schedule as we Ike to have family dinners.

But I'm convinced there is something to this beyond calorie counting.

I go through 2 weeks of "plateaus" all the time skipping breakfast and lately skipping dinner. When you change your eating schedule you can change your bathroom schedule which is the real cause of sluggish scale results. So not coincidence but not a fat burning secret.

If you are in a calorie deficit this is the real cause of a "plateau":

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

I never actually plateau. My weight loss is just masked for short periods of time on the bathroom scale. Eventually (often after 3 weeks) I visit the restroom more often for 3 or so days and I have a big drop in weight that represents all that I should have lost but did not see on the scale.

If there is more to it they can't find it in humans other than the benefit for people with insulin resistance.

Keep in mind that a few years ago there was supposedly a huge benefit in eating more often not less often.

For some people this still works. I never did for me. I spent too much time thinking about the next little meal that I would get to eat. I just needed more food than that at one time to satisfy my hunger.

I think it is very interesting that what works well for one is a disaster for another.

Yup. No one-size-fits-all. As you know, the only universal truth is that it takes a calorie deficit, maintained over time, to lose weight. However anyone chooses to go about doing that is just personal preference.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Ok...researching this now. Apparently it can also improve cholesterol profile. At least in rats:
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324699669_Intermittent_fasting_decreases_oxidative_stress_parameters_in_Wistar_rats_Rattus_norvegicus