my story at 23 years old

Hi everyone, i'm not necessarily new to this app but it is my first time using it a lot more frequently. i'm 23 years old and i weigh 240lbs.. i can honestly say i try very hard to workout as much as i can but depression really gets the best of me.. I haven't always been this "big", i used to workout 6 days a week, 3 years ago. My lowest/healthiest weight i ever reached was 140. At the time i still thought i was unhealthy and "fat", and now looking back i honestly wish i had the mentality that i do today. I went through a'lot of personal issues throughout the years and i got really depressed. I got to the point where i lost all of my closest friends because i pushed them away, i stopped talking to the majority of people/family i know, i was constantly binge eating whenever i got the chance and i was basically a homebody. I stopped taking care of myself period, and the more i looked at myself in the mirror the more i was truly disgusted/unhappy with who i became. Now these phases come and go and it makes it that much harder to stay consistent with the gym and good eating habits. I know what i should and shouldn't do. What i should and shouldn't eat. But when your'e at your lowest point, food sometimes is the only comfort you get. Im on here today because i would really love to talk to people that are just like me or have had similar stories. I would love to be able to hold each other accountable for workouts and easy healthy recipes. And for those of you who just have advice, tips or just something nice to say, please don't be afraid to message me or comment on here! I really look forward to hearing from you all, thanks for taking the time to read (:

Replies

• tmrussell1215
    tmrussell1215 Posts: 4 Member
    Hey! I hear you. I feel like I’m constantly on a wheel. I just reached out to a dietician for help. She mentioned working out is important and you should try to get at least 150 minutes per week. But she mentioned your diet is that most important thing when losing weight. My goal is 1500 calories per day and I don’t eat my extra calories from exercise. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • Madyyy0322
    Madyyy0322 Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you so much (: i actually am loving keeping track of my calories, i will keep you updated with my progress!
  • kmalik5
    kmalik5 Posts: 44 Member
    Girl I feel you! It's hard being overweight young and having to deal with so many other issues on top of it. I'm 23 as well and I've dropped about 45lb so far, but still have a long way to go.

One of the best things I read was, "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing even a little." I've for sure fallen off the horse over the course of my journey and I've gotten back on a lot. Some days I manage to eat 1300 calories exactly and go for a run, but other days I'm ravenous all day and go over. That's okay! Progress is still progress and we do our best at our pace :)
  • When I was at my worst I had to introduce external rules to try and ensure I ate something with nutritional value.
    So for example I had to have something my mother would recognise as dinner. Not complicated, fancy or calorie counted - but toast and biscuits didn't cut it.

I know what you mean though - for a long time I knew I wasn't doing myself any favours, but couldn't stop doing it.
    Onwards and upwards.
  • bschneider96
    bschneider96 Posts: 14 Member
    Girl we have a similar story! I’m 23 too, and starting at a similar weight. I sent you a friend request
  • Madyyy0322
    Madyyy0322 Posts: 13 Member
    kmalik5 wrote: »
    Girl I feel you! It's hard being overweight young and having to deal with so many other issues on top of it. I'm 23 as well and I've dropped about 45lb so far, but still have a long way to go.

One of the best things I read was, "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing even a little." I've for sure fallen off the horse over the course of my journey and I've gotten back on a lot. Some days I manage to eat 1300 calories exactly and go for a run, but other days I'm ravenous all day and go over. That's okay! Progress is still progress and we do our best at our pace :)

Wow, I really love that quote! Thank you for sharing (: and congratulations on losing 45lbs, that's amazing!! & i know exactly how you feel lol, but i know that we both got this! Your'e already half way there!