First 10K/Training Advice

Hi all,
I signed up for my first 10k a couple months ago and now the date is looming. The race is at the end of October and I am not close to ready. My training has not been as successful as I would have liked. I ran 6k today with 3 1min walking breaks. So, has anyone else been in a similar situation and been able to finish the race? Have any of you run/walked a 10k? Any suggestions? All help is appreciated. I'm still a pretty novice runner in general.
Thanks

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Time machine.

A lot of people to run/walk longer races. You probably won't be alone.

Here's some info on Couch to 10k, but it takes about twice as long as you have. Again, time machine.

http://www.myrunningtips.com/couch-to-10k.html
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Unless there is a time limit set for the race, there probably isn't one, run walk as you fell is right. Regular run walk intervals, walk when you need to slow to your recovery jog as needed..., just keep moving forward and won't be alone.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Are you currently able to run a 5k distance already? If so the bridge to 10k program is designed to get you to 60 minutes running and takes 6 weeks. I found it very helpful.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    MCM 10k?

second the run/walk recommendations - i do all my runs that way at the same (or faster) pace that when i ran fully
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Have you been following a specific training plan? That’s always the biggest thing for me in training, is stick to a plan.

Also, for a first race I would only worry about the distance. If you need to walk, walk. When you stop to walk it is helpful (for me anyway) to pick out a point up ahead where you will start running again.

There will be plenty of people doing a mix of walking and running. Some people may walk the whole thing. Don’t stress about running all of it!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Start the race as slow as possible. I think with your first race you'll be super excited and may start too fast. Try and do the first mile slow, then the rest at your usual pace.

Tons of people walk a bit then run. I think if youre already doing 6k. 10k isnt that far if a stretch. You've got a month. Train smart and youll be great.

Good luck!

Also, you'll be surprised what running with a few hundred or thousand people will do. It's a whole lot more fun than going solo.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    End of October is plenty of time to go from 6k to 10k. I suspect you could even finish it if the race was tomorrow - race day adrenaline does wonderful things.

That said, though, bridge to 10k will probably serve your purpose pretty well.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    You could try the Nike Run app. They can create a custom plan based on your current pace, your goal distance, and the time allotted. Otherwise, run/walk is a definite safe bet.
  • On the day, remember the only failures are those who didn't start. Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Bridge to 10K program...
  • janineisaacs
    janineisaacs Posts: 6 Member
    My thoughts are dont stress take race day as it comes, whatever happens on that day is fine. It's your race, you run/walk as u see fit. Listen to your body it will guide u.
    Main thing is to have fun as your first race is always your most memorable. Best of luck.