Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cure against cold

2»

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    They may come up with a cure at some point but for the moment you can only treat the symptoms.

My go to is Otrivine nasal spray. A couple of squirts and you no longer have a runny nose, can breathe easily so you can sleep and don't get a sore nose from constant wiping/blowing. Highly recomend this spray.

The other, is of course good old Lemsip with dollop of honey.
  • iheartmyyorkie
    iheartmyyorkie Posts: 163 Member
    They may come up with a cure at some point but for the moment you can only treat the symptoms.

My go to is Otrivine nasal spray. A couple of squirts and you no longer have a runny nose, can breathe easily so you can sleep and don't get a sore nose from constant wiping/blowing. Highly recomend this spray.

The other, is of course good old Lemsip with dollop of honey.

But I would never put a dollop of honey up my nose. :o
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2019
    There's a startup here in Tucson that takes advantage of the history of this being a copper mining region. Turns out that from Ancient times, people drank water out of copper. Copper is a natural antibacterial substance. You touch it and it kills germs. They have this nasal stick made of pure copper and if you put it in your nose at the first sign of a cold, it's supposed to dramatically shorten it. Actually, I think it's the former head of the FDA that started the company. CopperZap I believe.

I'm just starting to see NetiPots made of copper as well.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    The best cure for a cold?

About a week. ;)
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    thanos5 wrote: »
    i'll suck on a cold eze as soon as i feel a cold coming on. it doesn't prevent it but it makes it go away pretty quickly. but only if i take it at the first freaking inkling of having a cold.

also, they taste horrible.

are you my mother?
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I spent about five years having a sinus infection more often than not with constant pressure in my forehead and face, and I got to the point of considering it normal to get a headache any time I hand to lean over or bend down.
    I finally bit the bullet and got sinus surgery. BEST medical treatment I ever did. Apparently it’s pretty common for people with chronic sinusitis to have mold in their sinuses as well as the drainage being super thick. My ENT describes it as peanut butter. 🤢
    Of course the surgery won’t prevent you from catching a cold, but it does allow for better drainage so that you don’t get as sick with them. I went from almost always having a sinus infection to 1-2 colds per year that were much milder than anything I got before the surgery. Also, if you have nasal polyps (I did and have grown a few new ones that are still really small), removing those so they don’t block drainage is another benefit of the sinus surgery.
    After having the sinus surgery, I am a firm believer in using a sinus rinse. The Netti Pot is the one most people are familiar with. The warm salt water is very soothing to the inflamed sinuses, I find it’s a lot more effective for removing drainage than just blowing your nose, and they claim it helps rinse out allergens.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I spent about five years having a sinus infection more often than not with constant pressure in my forehead and face, and I got to the point of considering it normal to get a headache any time I hand to lean over or bend down.
    I finally bit the bullet and got sinus surgery. BEST medical treatment I ever did. Apparently it’s pretty common for people with chronic sinusitis to have mold in their sinuses as well as the drainage being super thick. My ENT describes it as peanut butter. 🤢
    Of course the surgery won’t prevent you from catching a cold, but it does allow for better drainage so that you don’t get as sick with them. I went from almost always having a sinus infection to 1-2 colds per year that were much milder than anything I got before the surgery. Also, if you have nasal polyps (I did and have grown a few new ones that are still really small), removing those so they don’t block drainage is another benefit of the sinus surgery.
    After having the sinus surgery, I am a firm believer in using a sinus rinse. The Netti Pot is the one most people are familiar with. The warm salt water is very soothing to the inflamed sinuses, I find it’s a lot more effective for removing drainage than just blowing your nose, and they claim it helps rinse out allergens.

My only comment about the Netti Pot would be to be very careful about your water source. Can't find the article now, but there was a woman (I believe in Washington) who not using a pure water source in her Netti Pot and contracted brain-eating amoebas as a result...
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

My only comment about the Netti Pot would be to be very careful about your water source. Can't find the article now, but there was a woman (I believe in Washington) who not using a pure water source in her Netti Pot and contracted brain-eating amoebas as a result...

Yes to the proper water source. The directions on the sinus rinse say to use distilled water, micro-filtered water (it specifies what size micron filter to use), commercially bottled water, or previously boiled and cooled water.
    Not sure I’d trust commercially bottled water though for me even though the package says it’s ok. I prefer to either use distilled water or boiled water after it’s cooled.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    I haven't had a cold in six years. I'm pretty much the exact opposite of a germaphobe (drink out of stranger's beer? Sure! Wash my hands after going to the gym? Nah. Eat food that fell on the floor? No hesitation.) I think my immune system has been tried and tested and risen to the occasion.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I haven't had a cold in six years. I'm pretty much the exact opposite of a germaphobe (drink out of stranger's beer? Sure! Wash my hands after going to the gym? Nah. Eat food that fell on the floor? No hesitation.) I think my immune system has been tried and tested and risen to the occasion.

While there is some of that as a factor - there is also genetics. And age.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    I don't often get sick. I have only taken two sick days off of work in the 4 1/2 years I have been at my current job. But those days I have had a cold I drink freshly squeezed orange juice. I think it helps. If not, I guess I am just pampering myself by buying good orange juice. I haven't taken any other cold remedy except for extra rest.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have found these to be excellent cold preventatives:
    1. Not touching my nose, eyes, or mouth with unwashed hands
    2. Not getting close enough to sick people that they can sneeze or cough on me

I agree with these also!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    The best cure for a cold?

About a week. ;)

I've had this one for over 3 now...😭