Weight loss plateau

Hi everyone,
So far in my weight loss journey I have lost approximately 19 pounds. My start weight was 186 and now I am 167. My goal weight is to be 154. I am 23 years old and am 5 feet 5 inches. I eat around 1200 calories a day and exercise daily. I have been doing walking on the treadmill at a fast pace for 30 minutes and also doing ab exercises for 10 minutes. I am currently at a weight loss plateau for the past 3 weeks and my weight does not seem to be going down but is bouncing back and forth between 167-168. I talked to a friend and she told me to increase my workouts from 30 min to 45 min which I can do. I want to know what some of your experiences are with weight loss plateaus, how to get out of them, and how long it took before you started seeing the scale go down again?

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    Hi!
    Did you begin your journey July 24th?
    Not even two months ago?

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Why are you only eating 1200 calories?

Fluctuations and plateaus are a normal part of the process.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    So did you pick 1200 because it was the lowest you could pick on MFP? Instead of putting the info in meaning height and weight to see what MFP suggested?

More importantly are you using a food scale? So you know exactly what you are eating and how many calories it is. And with only another 13 or so pounds to loose, it could come off slow like manybe a half pound or less per week.
  • LyndaBSS
    OP, in one of your other threads, you indicated that you don't weigh your foods. Still the case?
  • pakeezakhan2661
    pakeezakhan2661 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi,
    I started my journey in June and got onto MFP 7/24. MFP told me to eat 1200 calories per day to lose about 2 pounds per week. I currently do not use a food scale because I do not own one and don’t have the time to weigh all my food.
  • LyndaBSS
    If that's the case, we can only presume that you actually have no idea how much you're actually eating.

It's going to be a very long road to nowhere until you start weighing everything you eat.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Hi,
    I started my journey in June and got onto MFP 7/24. MFP told me to eat 1200 calories per day to lose about 2 pounds per week. I currently do not use a food scale because I do not own one and don’t have the time to weigh all my food.

If you don't have time to weight your food (which is not actually time consuming at all - a few minutes here and there) perhaps you should try something like Weight Watchers? Where you don't actually weigh stuff but eat "points"?

Because yeah, if you're not weighing you're just estimating what you are eating and we all tend to estimate more rather than less.

You probably lost weight fast at first because you are conscious of what you are eating now, but after a while it becomes hard to lose unless you actually buckle down and count and weigh everything.

But good luck on your journey :)