Another week and still no loss

Options
Three weeks since I’ve lost weight, only lost weight in the first week . Feeling rubbish

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It may be good to share your stats and open your diary so we can help you troubleshoot.

A few simple errors in logging, you said in a previous post you weigh your food, can easily be rectified with more experienced members guidance.

You may also be undernourishing yourself if you are eating 1200 cals and not eating back exercise cals. This could lead to lethargy in everyday activity and a lower overall calorie burn making your deficit less than expected.

There are also lots of reasons you may be retaining water which will mask fat loss.

The more we know, the more we can help.

Cheers, h.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,257 Member
    Options
    Stick at it, it will change
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    You recently went from 1500 to 1200 calories per day, right?

What number did mfp allocate when you joined?

What weekly weight loss per week did you choose?

What is your age, height, starting weight, current weight and goal?

How are you measuring your foods?
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I know not everyone feels comfortable giving out stats, but your age, hieght, weight, activity level all factor into what you should actually be eating to lose.

Your body requires a specific amount of calories to function. If you don't eat those minimum calories you could be starving your metabolism causing it to stall.

Everyone is different.
  • vanillaorange2
    vanillaorange2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Don’t pay attention too the scale, you can loose body fat percentages and put on muscle / go down in clothing sizes and see no results on the scale due to water weight. As long as you feel good keep up the good work and stay consistent with your work- outs and eating healthy. I only get on the scale once every 2 weeks, and I use one that will give me accurate body fat percentages and muscle gain results.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I only get on the scale once every 2 weeks, and I use one that will give me accurate body fat percentages and muscle gain results.

May I ask what scale you use that gives you accurate body fat percentages and muscle gain results?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Don’t pay attention too the scale, you can loose body fat percentages and put on muscle / go down in clothing sizes and see no results on the scale due to water weight. As long as you feel good keep up the good work and stay consistent with your work- outs and eating healthy. I only get on the scale once every 2 weeks, and I use one that will give me accurate body fat percentages and muscle gain results.

Sadly, muscle gain is not the explanation in this case.

Under the best of circumstances, a quarter-pound of muscle gain per week would be a really good result for a woman . . . and "the best of circumstances" include a high-quality progressive strength training program performed consistently, excellent nutrition (especially but not exclusively adequate protein), relative youth, favorable genetics, and a calorie surplus. I'm not saying muscle mass can't be gained by any woman, ever, in a calorie deficit . . . but it will reduce/limit results to less than optimal. And in OP's case, it's only been 3 weeks.

On the flip side, a quarter pound of fat loss per week would be about the slowest potentially observable loss rate, and observing it would take weeks (and probably a weight-trending app), in amongst the routine daily fluctuations of weight from water retention/loss and varying digestive contents in transit.

So, especially for women, no realistic rate of muscle gain is going to outpace any satisfying rate of fat loss. (I wish.)

However, the water retention explanation is a definite possibility.

OP, if you're premenopausal, it's best to compare weights at the same point in different menstrual cycles, because hormone-related water retention is a possibility, and it happens at different times for different women. If you've started a new exercise program, that can also result in enough extra water retention (for muscle repair) to mask fat loss on the scale for a couple of weeks or so. There are other things that can cause water retention: More than usual sodium or carb consumption (even perfectly sensible amounts of either), minor infections or inflammation (even a headcold, sunburn, etc.), and many other things.

If you've simultaneously switched from an eating style with lots of low fiber foods, to one with lots of whole grains and veggies, it may also be a possibility that the physical weight of average digestive system contents in transit is higher than it used to be, masking a bit of fat loss.

The most probable explanations are in the logging or energy-level explanations folks have suggested above (and they've suggested good strategies, too), or water retention.

Hang in there!