Nervous About Autumn/Winter Slow Down

Options
So I've been steadily losing weight since April 25th of this year (56 lbs and counting), but still have a long way to go. I live in northern Germany and the weather has just turned cold this week. My main concerns with this are:

- My husband and I won't be able to take our long daily walks (usually 2x/day) or go on strenuous outdoor excursions on the weekends (hiking, biking, super long walks), which forms the majority of our exercise regime. I don't really know how to replace this, as going to a gym is not an option: too expensive and too unpleasant for both of us on several levels.
- I've been drinking protein shakes for at least one meal a day, and it has become something I look forward to and I really appreciate the tastiness and satiety bang for the calories (and macros). However, I specifically enjoy them as icy blender drinks, which is already proving to be a bit too cold as we head into Autumn.

So I'm getting nervous. I do NOT want to slow down my progress - I have a very specific goal for New Year's Day that means the world to me. I'm hoping for some ideas about alternative ways to approach the exercise issue and perhaps some tested suggestions on how to consume protein shakes in creative (non-icy) ways.

A few notes of what I know won't work (based on geographic region and lifestyle):
Shopping mall walking
Exercise videos
(Again) Gyms

Thanks for any and all help! :-)

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I do at home /indoor workouts - not ideal but better than nothing. Youtube is fab for free workouts - I like Jessica Smith TV personally, but there are 100's to choose from. Some are cardio based, some strength training based.
    You'll still be able to get out and about, I live in Northern Ireland so our temps are similar - I don't let winter stop me. The dark evenings are a nuisance but on the weekends we still get out and about during the day.
    Find something you can do and keep up the good work, you'll be glad you did.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I live in northern Michigan, and it gets very cold in here. We have a stationary bike in the house. They make them much smaller now than they used to, and we are considering getting an elliptical too if we can find one on sale. If all else fails, I turn up the music and walk circles around the inside of the house.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I , I turn up the music and walk circles around the inside of the house.

I've been known to do that too :D

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If you can afford a machine a rowing machine will give you the most bang for your buck.

If you and your husband are both wanting to keep active what about buying some boxing pads and gloves? You burn a heck of a lot of calories and it's very good for aerobic fitness. Plus cheaper than buying a machine.

As for the shake, I don't get why you can't have an iced shake all year round. Your house is heated, I assume.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a compact elliptical under my desk. Of course I work from home so the noise isn't disturbing anyone. The one I have includes resistance bands, but it's hard to use those while I work since I'm at a computer all day and need my hands.
  • Keliz1173
    Keliz1173 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    In the spirit of @missysippy930 - can you find some other outdoor activities that work?

I live in Newfoundland Canada and we also have our share of miserable winter weather. I do enjoy walking in the cold if I'm dressed for it - but not when the roads are icy or it's freezing rain. Other winter fitness activities - snowshoeing, cross country skiing, ice skating. Some of those are more costly than others but you might be able to find something that works.

A friend of mine has a device he clips his bike into that turns it into a stationary bike when he can't ride outside.

It's great that you are planning ahead and problem solving now - Good luck and congrats on your progress so far!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    - My husband and I won't be able to take our long daily walks (usually 2x/day) or go on strenuous outdoor excursions on the weekends (hiking, biking, super long walks), which forms the majority of our exercise regime. I don't really know how to replace this, as going to a gym is not an option: too expensive and too unpleasant for both of us on several levels.

I cycled outside year round in Manitoba Canada ... and walked, and hiked, and cross-country skied, and snowshoed. Why wouldn't you be able to do those things?

If the day was particularly bad (i.e. blizzard), I put my bicycle on a trainer and rode inside. These days, in Tasmania, I do it with Zwift when the winter is windy, wet and dark.

We've also purchased a small home gym consisting of a treadmill, rowing machine ... and of course we had our bicycles, trainers and Zwift setup.

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I live in northern Michigan, and it gets very cold in here. We have a stationary bike in the house. They make them much smaller now than they used to, and we are considering getting an elliptical too if we can find one on sale. If all else fails, I turn up the music and walk circles around the inside of the house.

Northern Michigan REPRESENT.

I'm fortunate because I work very close to a mall and can walk there. A lap is about a mile so I can keep track pretty easily.
  • Lesssambytheday
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your very thoughtful responses.

LivingtheLeanDream - I did check out Jessica Smith's YouTube channel, and I will give her workouts a try.
    VimnVigor - Yeah, I have done similar circles in the house when desperate, so there's always that when all else fails! :-)
    MissySippy - We will definitely make every effort to keep going outside, but I know how heavy the winter can get around here, and there are bound to be days when it's just not feasible - this is what makes me nervous.
    NovusDies - That's quite a detailed breakdown you provided - I appreciate your thoughtfulness (though I'm surprised you have access to so much info about me). I definitely don't wish to lose my momentum and will work to keep that calorie deficit right where it belongs.
    SnifterPug - Wow, boxing! I would never have thought of that - I will run it by the husband and see what he thinks!
    Hmhill - There is a compact stepper with resistance bands available second-hand near me. I have no experience with that particular equipment, so I feel unsure if it's worth getting. I would hate to buy something that would just sit in the corner collecting dust.
    Keliz - Yes, freezing rain, icy surfaces or blizzard conditions are exactly what I am concerned about. I do rather like the idea of snowshoeing, I will just need to do a bit of research on it.
    Machka - Wow, I had no idea about Zwift - what a great idea! Unfortunately, we live in a rather small one-bedroom flat that doesn't allow for a bike setup like that, but I love the idea!
    RelCanonical - I do wish we had an indoor mall to walk in - we could do it from time to time if we are willing to drive some distance to get there. Most of the time, we'll need something else.

Sincerely, thank you all for taking the time to respond and your kind encouragement - it is much appreciated and I do have some ideas now for the exercise bit of my concerns. Cheers!

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your very thoughtful responses.

LivingtheLeanDream - I did check out Jessica Smith's YouTube channel, and I will give her workouts a try.
    VimnVigor - Yeah, I have done similar circles in the house when desperate, so there's always that when all else fails! :-)
    MissySippy - We will definitely make every effort to keep going outside, but I know how heavy the winter can get around here, and there are bound to be days when it's just not feasible - this is what makes me nervous.
    NovusDies - That's quite a detailed breakdown you provided - I appreciate your thoughtfulness (though I'm surprised you have access to so much info about me). I definitely don't wish to lose my momentum and will work to keep that calorie deficit right where it belongs.
    SnifterPug - Wow, boxing! I would never have thought of that - I will run it by the husband and see what he thinks!
    Hmhill - There is a compact stepper with resistance bands available second-hand near me. I have no experience with that particular equipment, so I feel unsure if it's worth getting. I would hate to buy something that would just sit in the corner collecting dust.
    Keliz - Yes, freezing rain, icy surfaces or blizzard conditions are exactly what I am concerned about. I do rather like the idea of snowshoeing, I will just need to do a bit of research on it.
    Machka - Wow, I had no idea about Zwift - what a great idea! Unfortunately, we live in a rather small one-bedroom flat that doesn't allow for a bike setup like that, but I love the idea!
    RelCanonical - I do wish we had an indoor mall to walk in - we could do it from time to time if we are willing to drive some distance to get there. Most of the time, we'll need something else.

Sincerely, thank you all for taking the time to respond and your kind encouragement - it is much appreciated and I do have some ideas now for the exercise bit of my concerns. Cheers!

Your profile has a ticker which showed me the pounds remaining and the rest was information you provided in your original post. To figure out RoL and average deficit you only need the amount lost and the date started.

I don't really understand the concept of momentum with regards to weight loss. I view each day as its own goal. What happened previously gives me experience and routine but beyond that it doesn't push me into today I just get up and live it. I have taken plenty of days off from being in a deficit in the last year and a half and if anything I feel more ready the next day to get back at it. I am not saying it is a wrong mindset. I see plenty of people saying it so it must be helpful but I can't figure out how it works.
  • Lesssambytheday
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Your profile has a ticker which showed me the pounds remaining and the rest was information you provided in your original post. To figure out RoL and average deficit you only need the amount lost and the date started.

Yes, I have fixed the ticker setting now. Thanks, again! :-)

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Where I live we don't have a mall, but we have an indoor soccer facility and an ice arena. Both facilities are open for indoor walking around the concourse and many people take advantage of it during the winter. An added perk is that its free. I wonder if there are any facilities like that near you? I live in Canada and to me, any exercise done outside is way better than inside. All year round. You just have to dress appropriately, and if necessary, wear a headlamp. Buy a pair of yaktrax type things for your shoes/boots (there are lots of different brands but yaktrax are my favourite) and you'll feel secure when walking/hiking when its icy. And here's another vote for snowshoeing. It gets you outside and is easy to get the hang of.
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I’m a little worried about this as well living in upstate New York. Snow and cold is one thing we do well. But mainly my biggest concern is how dark it gets so early so going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark are hard enough already. How do I then walk the side of the road with barely a shoulder in the dark and in the snow and ice.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm in Toronto and I don't have a driver's license. I'll admit that I don't walk as much "for the sake of walking" in winter, but I still run errands on foot. For everything else, there's the glider in the basement.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    ama3387 wrote: »
    my biggest concern is how dark it gets so early so going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark

Do you have a lunch break you can go outside during at mid-day? Are there parks near work?
  • Idratherberunning2017
    Options
    My favorite is winter running/hiking. I hope this year I am in shape enough to tackle that again with runs, but if not the hikes it is.

Nothing like snow crunching under my feet while enjoying nature. Most people won’t venture out, so I have it all to myself.

If you’re adventurous, buy some thermal leggings, some are quite cost friendly. Buy a nice pair of wool socks. Load up on shirts, sweaters etc. I also recommend a face cover to keep your lungs warm.

I would make it a mission to see how frosty I could make my face cover by huffing and puffing around.

You can do it, indoors or out, don’t let cold get in the way and freezing your goal.

Best of luck!
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    ama3387 wrote: »
    my biggest concern is how dark it gets so early so going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark

Do you have a lunch break you can go outside during at mid-day? Are there parks near work?

I will occasionally go out and walk,but normally by lunch I’m starving and don’t have a ton of time to get food and a walk. We’re also not in the nicest of areas a lot of crime. But the positive crime does seem to decrease during the winter months!