Man Plans, and God Laughs

I was all set for a nice full week of exercise that I like- paddling, tennis and golf. Then I tweaked my lower back vacuuming. Vacuuming! Ugh. I wish I had a better story!

So, new plan is to just stay within or just under my MFP calories until my back feels better. Ice, rest and anti- inflammatories to the rescue! In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty minor and will pass. But it begs the question...

How do you all deal with injuries or other setbacks?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Actually moving a little will help your back, some easy walking etc

Its can be so easy to hurt ourselves, I only have to look at something and I find I have a new ache LOL - the joys of aging eh!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I have tweaked my back standing still washing dishes in a sink. At least you were moving around.

Rest and take care of yourself. Do not make the situation worse. As @livingleanlivingclean mentioned my back is often worse if I sit around too much and "loosens" when I walk. Not sure if what happens to me on occasion is what you are experiencing though.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Hope you get better soon. I've had a bad back for most of my life. I have to be really careful with it, especially when lifting weights. The good news is, I've had less issues after losing 70 lbs. A couple years ago I had a problem with sciatic nerve and could barely walk for 2 months! Hoping that never returns!
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    I am sorry - but I had to chuckle at this post. I too had a vacuum cleaner/ back tweaking incident recently. However it happened when I was carrying the vacuum up the stairs with one hand and lugging a basket of clean laundry under the opposite arm. Which really means I was just lazy and didn't want to make two trips. LOL. Hot water bottle and some yoga stretches did the trick. Good as new in a couple of days...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Womona wrote: »

Mostly with frustration, irritability, impatience and determination (sometimes too much).

Occassionally with stupidity (pulling out sutures by going back to the gym when I was supposed to be recuperating after surgery and quite a few other examples of being reckless with ignoring pain and risking my future health).

Often with a sense of detachment. Although my motorcycle racing days are long ago I still have a slightly odd sense that my body is a tool and not really me - which isn't that unusual amongst racers and sportsmen. In the aftermath of a recent high speed bicycle crash I assessed the damage to my bike and to myself in exactly the same way (displaced clavicle, torn knee ligament, mashed fingers, numerous cuts and abrasions, buckled front wheel, grabbing brakes, crooked handlebars, bent gear shifter, cosmetic scrapes...) .
    What could I fix? What could I do to compensate for the damage/injuries or work round them? Could I continue the event or did I have to abandon because either the bike or me were too badly damaged?

Once in a while I manage to divert the energy into something useful. When I hurt my back earlier this year and couldn't train for strength how I wanted to I switched to hypertrophy training and found the change refreshing, succesful and fun. When my knee injury reduced the training volume and intensity I could tolerate I switched the focus to losing some weight to boost my power to weight ratio.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I usuly try to do less intense exercise, like walking, and see how it feels. Strength training helped my back so much that now I hardly ever tweak it anymore. Just remember to build up slowly.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Womona wrote: »
    I was all set for a nice full week of exercise that I like- paddling, tennis and golf. Then I tweaked my lower back vacuuming. Vacuuming! Ugh. I wish I had a better story!

So, new plan is to just stay within or just under my MFP calories until my back feels better. Ice, rest and anti- inflammatories to the rescue! In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty minor and will pass. But it begs the question...

Swearing. Lots and lots of swearing.

After that, I try to force myself to rest/rehab, whatever is most appropriate. I attempt to do this by telling myself, “Don’t be stupid,” when I’m tempted to exercise anyway.

Sometimes I listen to myself, sometimes I don’t.

You should probably not try to be like me.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited September 2019
    Ha! A sneeze put me out of commission for a week. I was reaching for something under the bed and this sneeze caused multiple herniations to just go berserk. This also resulted in lot of swearing.

I just focused on healing and looking at the big picture. One week out of years of training is meaningless. Me furthering the stupid and attempting to train before healing would be a bad idea - a glimmer of wisdom.

Get well soon!
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    I'm sorry about the setback. I've been having a fibromyalgia flare since Sunday. I've just been resting and considering incidental walking as good enough exercise. I used the time of to meal prep, so I feel more productive, less self pity.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    My worst: the first time I really started trying to lose weight was almost 18 years ago. My youngest was just past 1 year old. I started riding an exercise bike for 20-30 minutes every morning and eating low carb. (Before I 'learned' about calories.) I was seeing progress and 3 weeks in: head on collision with another car and 3 weeks in the hospital with 2 broken legs. Then months of physical therapy.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    I'm sorry about the setback. I've been having a fibromyalgia flare since Sunday. I've just been resting and considering incidental walking as good enough exercise. I used the time of to meal prep, so I feel more productive, less self pity.

Hope you feel better soon.

It just got better! I had to quit crossfit after modifying dang near everything due to shoulder injury. I've been advised not to lift my arms over my head and started cortisone shots. At least I can do lifting with gym machines, just nothing overhead or higher than chest level. That's better than nothing, but I'm frustrated and cried a little over it.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I tend to work round injuries - its not good to totally not move - this makes it worse. I have chronic knee problems, and occasional lower back pain, and tendonitis (yay! lucky me!), but I do weights based workouts, just using a bit of movement on whichever part is playing up!