Recovery Day Nutrition

Hello

I usually take my rest day after heavy leg days or long runs (6+ miles), and find I feel very tired and want to eat everything in sight! I am wondering if others perhaps eat differently on recovery days after especially hard workouts? More protein, more cals in general etc to help rebound faster?

Thanks!

Kim

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i find i do better to increase my calories on rest days vs. workout days (I use more of a TDEE estimate) - it helps with replenishing glycogen stores etc (my rest day is typically the day before a long run) - i'm also never hungry on heavy workout days
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    On days I'm cycling for 3+ hrs if I have a high carb day (before/during/after my exercise) then I don't have any hunger issues the next day when recovering.

For me avoiding a big drop in glygogen levels from very big exercise duration is the key to managing the problem and ensuring I recover well.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Since my workouts, either lifting or endurance cardio, were always in evening, I just did the correct increase in eating that day to include the next 24 hrs - into the next day.
    That usually took care of the problem.

If only a lifting night, all the extra calories are the next day, and perhaps less deficit so I could eat even more too.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Same problem and just posted a similar question!

First, I often do some activity on recovery days, (e.g., walk a couple of miles). I'm trying a bunch of different things for the hunger. First, perhaps don't eat back all your exercise calories on the same day-- save some for the next day. You have to keep track manually because MFP mostly tracks day-by-day (except in reports). Also, I eat a good carb meal pretty soon after running. STILL, the next day can be difficult and you have to stay firm.

[I wish MFP listed your net calorie surplus/deficit for the past N days. Also, your average weight for the last M days.]
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Steak always makes me feel better