Self-identity

Options
jjpptt2
jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
I'm curious... How much of your identity is tied to your health/fitness?

When I stopped racing a few years ago, I struggled losing that part of myself... both with the loss of goal/direction, but also with the loss of belonging/group. It was the manner in which I could fairly easily measure myself, compare myself to others, and feel reasonably good about myself. Losing that was hard. Is still hard.

Do other people identify as a runner, lifter, as being passionate about fitness, etc etc etc?

I know... too serious for chit chat, but...

Replies

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options

I’ve never wanted to be a lifter or a runner. I never wanted to be defined by that. I am a person who lifts. I run (reluctantly).

i don’t want to have a “thing” that I always do forever and ever.

This is probably because I am forever seeking balance but also because I love new things so much.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I think "categorisation" is just part of the human condition. It helps us to make sense of ourselves and one another, eg I used to fiercely hold on to my identity as a pescetarian until I realised that was stupid. What I eat has nothing to do with who I am. Often it is easier to describe ourselves through the things we can do as opposed to the things we are. Your commitment to racing is a demonstration of your characteristics, i.e. motivated and determined. Sorry to get all philosophical on you - I am in the throes of some serious procrastination.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There was a time, a couple of years ago, when I had my body fat ratio measured in a dunk tank. The printout from that measurement said that my bf% put me in the category of "Athlete". I'm fairly certain that I've not spent a single day at or below that weight since.

Having spent all my life as 'fat' or 'obese', it seems that I was unable to wrap my self-image around the concept of being an athlete. I'm still trying.

I just learned today that I'm a very distant relation to DJT. #MJGA.
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    There was a time, a couple of years ago, when I had my body fat ratio measured in a dunk tank. The printout from that measurement said that my bf% put me in the category of "Athlete". I'm fairly certain that I've not spent a single day at or below that weight since.

Having spent all my life as 'fat' or 'obese', it seems that I was unable to wrap my self-image around the concept of being an athlete. I'm still trying.

I just learned today that I'm a very distant relation to DJT. #MJGA.

Sir, I would buy your hat!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I'd say a little piece of my self-identity is that of hiker.

I've never participated in sports or taken much interest in anything other than walking/swimming for pleasure and the odd bowling night. But now that I hike at least 3-4 times a month and have clothes, shoes, gear for this hobby, I find myself thinking of myself as a hiker.

It's funny though...I meet people who have hiked trails of a hundred miles - spending weeks on the trail & sleeping rough etc...and then I step back and think "nope, I'm not a real hiker". Even though I do it a lot and enjoy it and have been on trails in 20+ states and tons of national parks.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    I guess I see myself as a Munroe bagger. I do that with my bf. It's our 'thing'. I have an app that lets me know of all the Munroes in scotland and I keep track of the ones I have climbed. Sometimes we just hike/ramble or go for long walks. Weather permitting. There seems to be a community of people who bag Munroes and enjoy that sort of thing. I guess I'm now one of them lol.

So I see myself as an 'outdoor person'. That's part of my identity I guess. We don't even do it all the time, but it's something we both love and enjoy.

will you please explain? what is a munroe? what’s a bagger?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    100% thought Munroe bagging was going to be about playing bagpipes.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    I guess I see myself as a Munroe bagger. I do that with my bf. It's our 'thing'. I have an app that lets me know of all the Munroes in scotland and I keep track of the ones I have climbed. Sometimes we just hike/ramble or go for long walks. Weather permitting. There seems to be a community of people who bag Munroes and enjoy that sort of thing. I guess I'm now one of them lol.

So I see myself as an 'outdoor person'. That's part of my identity I guess. We don't even do it all the time, but it's something we both love and enjoy.

A Munroe is a Scottish mountain, if it's over 3000 foot, it qualifies as a Munroe. The highest Munroe is Ben Nevis.

Munroe 'bagging' is a pastime. It just means that you have completed it, climbed it. There is 282 peaks to climb and over 6000 people have completed them all. Known as 'Munroists'. On my little munro app, I can see that some of the Munroes are very hard to reach. Like travelling over water to very far, isolated spots. Some would definetly require a professional to be with you in order to safely complete. I don't think I will manage them all, but it's a good hobby. The views from the top and seeing a different side of nature is pretty cool. And it's burns a lotta calories ! You always meet really nice folk walking up or on the way back down.
    Thank you! Sounds very fun!
  • Reckoner68
    Options
    I am a fire truck
  • ghudson92
    Options

A Munroe is a Scottish mountain, if it's over 3000 foot, it qualifies as a Munroe. The highest Munroe is Ben Nevis.

Munroe 'bagging' is a pastime. It just means that you have completed it, climbed it. There is 282 peaks to climb and over 6000 people have completed them all. Known as 'Munroists'. On my little munro app, I can see that some of the Munroes are very hard to reach. Like travelling over water to very far, isolated spots. Some would definetly require a professional to be with you in order to safely complete. I don't think I will manage them all, but it's a good hobby. The views from the top and seeing a different side of nature is pretty cool. And it's burns a lotta calories ! You always meet really nice folk walking up or on the way back down.

It is an adventure for sure! Get out of the city, drive into the Scottish highlands and so far away from the city. It's like a different world and remote, peaceful.

But I have wanted to, no scratch that, wailed and cried during climbs just cos I am outa shape and it's *kitten* hard work walking up a mountain 😂 worse when you pass a pensioner or child who is seemingly having no issues at all 😄. It's good fun.

I've no idea how you climb the Scottish mountains. I had a hard enough time driving up them 😂
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I self-identify as a cat... so the less exercise, the better. Naps are my mood and I live for treats that I rarely get. :laugh:
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    I am a fire truck

That is.....

Simply

giphy.gif

Riveting

• CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Not enough, which is probably why I’m still here several years later.
  • Reckoner68
    Options
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    I am a fire truck

is this like an apache attack helicopter?

Some fundamental differences but the sentiment could be the same I think
  • RevGym2
    RevGym2 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Most people find their identity when looking in a mirror and most are not happy with what they see. What they should see his reflection of me. That will give them a true identity, being the best they can be, being like me.
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    I think "categorisation" is just part of the human condition. It helps us to make sense of ourselves and one another, eg I used to fiercely hold on to my identity as a pescetarian until I realised that was stupid. What I eat has nothing to do with who I am. Often it is easier to describe ourselves through the things we can do as opposed to the things we are. Your commitment to racing is a demonstration of your characteristics, i.e. motivated and determined. Sorry to get all philosophical on you - I am in the throes of some serious procrastination.

This. I define myself by things I do but I'm do those things because I'm motivated, dedicated, determined....and so on... so if I stopped running or had to change jobs.. the things I am would drive me to find the next purpose ...not sure this makes sense 🤷‍♀️
  • ghudson92
    Options

This. I define myself by things I do but I'm do those things because I'm motivated, dedicated, determined....and so on... so if I stopped running or had to change jobs.. the things I am would drive me to find the next purpose ...not sure this makes sense 🤷‍♀️

I get what you mean 😊
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

I tend to agree... in some ways, I think it ties into our need to belong.