Started StrongLifts Today!

Started stronglifts 5x5 today. I’ve done it in the past and really enjoy it for a few months then switch to a less boring program! Should I count any exercise calories burned for the program or just call it a wash? I’ll add in my warmups since that’s cardio based but wonder why people record for SL?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Under the cardio tab, log "strength training". You won't get a ton of calories.
  • Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member

Thanks! I guess I also have to give it some time and see how my weight works out too. My goal is a recomp king of thing, I think I’m in the sweet spot where I can get a lot of beginner gains without increasing calories too much!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    No more than 120 cals/hr MAX and that's w/o stopping or resting more than a,l few mins bet lifts.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Sorry @sgt1372 I have to disagree with such a sweeping, generalized statement, glad that works for you though.

It is a relatively small calorie burn, but worth logging. All activity needs fuelling, lifting is no different.

For 90min I get ~200cals, longer rests are included in that.
    (I’m older, 5’1, 102lbs and perform better with a longer recovery period)

When I first started I did what was often advised on the boards at that time- ‘the cals are so low it’s not worth counting them’. I burnt out and started to lose weight (in maintenance), within weeks. I needed those cals, and perform a heck of a lot better in all walks of life, inc lifting, when I get them.

If you are in maintenance, recomp, eat the cals MFP gives you back for lifting, then adjust after 4-6 weeks, keeping in mind there will be a couple of lbs water retention.

Cheers, h.
  • quiksylver296
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    No more than 120 cals/hr MAX and that's w/o stopping or resting more than a,l few mins bet lifts.

I wish the person who disagreed with us would explain, @sgt1372.

With my statement, they must think you will get a ton of calories?!?
  • middlehaitch
    @quiksylver296, I disagreed with @sgt1372, and addressed why in my post, basically was a blanket statement not applicable to everyone.
    I ‘like’d your post.

Just to clarify, h.
  • Howard_M_Burgerz
    Howard_M_Burgerz Posts: 61 Member
    Anecdotal ...Her mileage may vary. Strength training is anaerobic (not a huge calorie burner). Cardio is aerobic. Pointed more at calorie burning.
  • quiksylver296
    @quiksylver296, I disagreed with @sgt1372, and addressed why in my post, basically was a blanket statement not applicable to everyone.
    I ‘like’d your post.

Just to clarify, h.

Fair enough. Still not sure what's up with mine, though.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Doing 5x5 surely burn more calories than sitting on the couch. Not a mega burner, but more.
  • Lindsay375
    My workout takes 45 minutes, including the rest between sets since I’m at minimum weight and am not failing or struggling yet! I think I’ll call it 100-ish calories and see where I am in a few weeks. The Strength training in cardio is giving me something like 250/hr which is high.
  • middlehaitch
    If you are going to call it 100 leave off the ish. :)
    Be consistent in the 100 then you will get a good reading if and/or when adjustments need to be made.

Keep an eye on your energy levels in everyday life, and performance in othe exercises you do.
    Sometimes the scale will be where you expect it to be, but your NEAT and other exercises are compromised by a small shortfall in cals. (Just speaking from experience here)

(Out of curiosity what did MFP give you for 45min lifting? At 102lbs I get 104)

Cheers, h.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited September 2019
    Sorry @sgt1372 I have to disagree with such a sweeping, generalized statement, glad that works for you though.

You're free to disagree but I've been doung this a long time. IMO the cal burn lifting is negligible snd is hardly worth counting.

I burn roughly 130 cals rowing 2.5km in 15 mins and I do not exert near the same effort in an hr of lifting.

Lifting is not a cardiovacular activity and there is NO way to accurately measure the cals burned while doing it AND,, if you are counting cals as a part of your wt loss effort and are eating back the cals that you THINK that you are burning beyond 120 cal/hr, then you are likely overestimating your cal burn and are likely to gain wt as a result.

Better to NOT allocate any cals to lifting in order to avoid this problem but if you disagree and are gaining wt because you are allocating more than 120 cal/hr to lifting and are inexplicably gaining wt, then this may be the reason.
  • middlehaitch
    Thanks for your reply @sgt1372.

We can agree to disagree I hope.

I have been stable in maintenance for 10yr, (except when I ate no lifting cals back) lifting for ~4.

200cals per 90min session is what it takes for me to continue to be weight stable while lifting.

Cheers, h.
  • Lindsay375
    @middlehaitch I get 90 calories for 30 minutes(I’m 5’3” and 132lb). And I call it -ish because I probably will call it 100 even if I add in a few minutes of accessory exercise one day, or deadlift days are slightly shorter then the other day. I use -ish meaning over a week full of logging it will even itself out if each day isn’t perfectly accurate.