me + four hours of sleep = bottomless pit for a stomach

Options
^
Does anyone know why this is? I often don't have enough time to get the right amount of sleep, with college coming up and usually working in the restaurant open to close, and it seems like when I'm lacking in the sleep department, I'm also lacking hunger-control. I could just keep eating! It's like forever being doomed to be hungry:(

Replies

• bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It has something to do with enzymes in your body (leptin and ghrelin) which help control hunger. Without the right amount of sleep they get out of balance and you never feel satisfied hungerwise.

This article might help explain it:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-while-sleeping
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Regular sleep is important but sometimes elusive. I have become aware of the same kind of thing and now feeling hungry is just that, a feeeling. Since I track what I eat I know that my nutrition is OK. Enjoy the feeling of mind over hunger.
  • mlcastle
    mlcastle Posts: 33
    Options
    yep, same here. the body is looking for energy and doesn't care where it comes from - food or sleep. drink some water and try to get a nap or at least a good rest the next night.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I crave sweets when I run on no sleep or hungry all the time too. I work 3rd shift so it is very hard.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    As you know, there've been articles on this. I would look them up. I notice other weird phenomena in addition to being hungry when I'm sleep-deprived: I get very cold.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Take Muscle Pharm Z-Core PM very effective and no side effects ,,helps you in sleeping and also recover or replenish ur energy and strength
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I know no sleep = big problems for me. I have a harder time resisting food. I have heard some of the things other posters mentioned. Also heard you might have trouble making good decisions. Like deciding to choose the healthy option might be harder when tired.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The area in our brain that controls our mood is close the that which controls our hunger. Many people swear that getting enough sleep is very important to control their eating and for weight loss.

If I'm munching to much, first thing I will consider is if I've had enough sleep.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I crave sweets when I run on no sleep or hungry all the time too. I work 3rd shift so it is very hard.
    Yes, night shifts suck! I struggled with this in the past along with the type II diabetes I had. I constantly had to be eating, thus going over my calories, to help me stay awake.
  • ellebrosseau
    ellebrosseau Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As you know, there've been articles on this. I would look them up. I notice other weird phenomena in addition to being hungry when I'm sleep-deprived: I get very cold.

I've been freezing all day! :/ I'm so glad you understand haha.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I know when I don't get enough sleep I am super hungry too. I just eat and eat and eat. For me, I am just not strong enough mentally to make good choices and/or resist temptation when I don't have enough sleep. I hope you can find a way to get more sleep into your schedule soon!
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    yep, same here. the body is looking for energy and doesn't care where it comes from - food or sleep. drink some water and try to get a nap or at least a good rest the next night.

^^ THIS