My Journey

Options
I've been lurking here for months, but never really posted before. I'm hoping this post will inspire some of you to stick with it. One year ago today, I smoked my last cigarette. After 30 years of smoking, I managed to give myself emphysema. Good job, idiot! I was also 40 pounds (at least) overweight. I found a good pulmonologist and got myself of some great meds, and by year's end I was given the OK to exercise as much as I wanted. I was pretty daunted about going back to the gym, but I did it. I started out slow and paced myself. By March, I realized I wasn't going to keel over every time I went in there, and I decided to pick up the pace.

It was around this time that I made the committment to fix my diet. I cut out white flour, white rice, and almost all added sugar. I switched to only lean chicken or turkey (I hate seafood), with the occasional red meat every week or two. Otherwise, I ate only fresh vegetables, fruit, yogurt, and almonds. It was tough to be so strict, and there were days when I thought I would gnaw off my own arm from hunger, but I stuck with it. I lost 15 pounds, but then I stopped losing for three weeks. The fitness trainer at my gym recommended this site, and lo and behold, I found out that I wasn't eating enough. Hallelujah! More food! Works for me. Once I upped my calories by a couple hundred, the weight started coming off again.

The first 15 pounds, no one noticed. Bummer. But the body is an amazing thing. The next 10 pounds, all of a sudden my clothes started falling off. (I was very popular!) Everyone noticed and commented - my self-confidence soared! I went from size 14 jeans to 12s, to 10s so fast I barely got to wear a pair twice. Not that I'm complaining.

I do a lot of weight lifting - ladies, it won't bulk you up! I promise! I started out on a stair master, which I love, and recently tried the elliptical for the first time. I like it, too, and it keeps me guessing. Today I started Day 1, Week 1 of Couch to 5K. ME! The wheezing ex-smoker. And I made it! I didn't set any speed records, but who cares?

This journey so far has been very enlightening. I've learned to read labels, understand proper nutrition (not quick fixes), and I'm broke. I've bought 4 pairs of jeans in decreasing sizes. (I got my butt squeezed into a pair of 6s this week, but I'll never wear them out of the house until they stop looking like they were spray-painted on!) I bought new workout gear since all my old stuff was literally falling off at the gym. New sneakers. A really good sprots bra. (Jeez, do they gold-plate those things? Sixty dollars? Really?) A digital scale; a food scale; a heart rate monitor; new underwear; new bras (see above); an iPod; new work clothes; enough chicken breasts to sprout feathers, and more fresh fruits and veggies than I've eaten in my entire previous 48 years.

Whew! At the end of six months, I'm down 30 pounds and on my way to 10 more off, my breathing has improved, I have more energy, and my entire mood has been lifted. I feel good about myself for the first time in a long time! If you had told me a year ago that I would be here today, I'd have laughed in your face. (Well, OK, I'd have coughed in your face since every burst of laughter brought on a hacking fit!) It wasn't easy, and it's taken a lot of disclipline and hard work, but it has been worth it. I climbed out of the basement of despair one step at a time, and so can you! Best wishes to all of you and may your journeys be as fulfilling as mine has been. I'll see you at the gym!

Lisa

Replies

• tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Great Job Lisa!!! You've made some great life changes. It's amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it, keep up the good work.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Sounds like you are doing fantastic and the 5k is EXCITING! I love doing 5ks, I am slow but I still finish :)

Way to GO!!!
  • candican
    candican Posts: 96
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! A real testament to how much dedication pays off !
  • livebetterlife
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration!!! Keep up the awesome work!! :)
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    What a fabulous post and should be very inspiring to anyone who reads it! Kudos to you and your hard work. Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!!! You have really made an about face in your life and embracing such a healthy lifestyle! Spending money on new clothes is a catch-22, but gotta love those smaller sizes and how they make you look and feel! You look fantastic!
  • scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Options
    That was awesome! Thanks for inspiring the rest of us!!!:happy:
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your story. It is amazing and inspiring!!!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Love your post . . . why, oh why do some of us get that "light-bulb" moment finally in our 40's??? Although I quit smoking quite a while ago now, this is so similar to my story as well.
    Congrats on your acheivement!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your kind replies!

Why do we wait so long? Good question. I was in denial. It took being hospitalized with breathing problems and being told that I'd be on an oxygen tank in 5 years to get me to wake up and smell the coffee! I didn't do everything all at once. Like I mentioned, I did it in stages - little baby steps. First the cigarettes, then the exercise, then the diet. One crisis at a time, ya know? I didn't want to everwhelm myself with a thousand drastic changes at the same time. Worked for me.

By the way, a previous poster said I've lost an adult male southern koala. If you see him, let me know. I've been looking for that little bugger everywhere! :happy: